Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I just learned about internal shingles. I have had a

Customer Question
I just learned about...

I just learned about internal shingles. I have had a tingling under the scalp that is more irritating than painful. I have gone to several doctors with no luck. Now I think It might have shingles. How can I verify this?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

There is no pain just tingling of the scalp just on the left side.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have had shingles before on my hairline on the left side.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
3/27/2018
Doctor: Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon replied 3 months ago
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon

Hello -

Where exactly is the tingling in the scalp? The front, the back, the side, does it go into the forehead above the eye, etc?

The side and only on the left side.

OK.

Does any of this tingling go into the forehead (above your eye) at all?

And I assume there is no obvious rash in that area. Did you have a rash with your previous shingles episode?

How long have you had the tingling?

I had a small rash the last time around the edges of my hair on the left side. It wasn't near my eyes and neither
is this near my eye now. It is just on the left side of my head. I asked my beautician to check my scalp and she saw nothing.
The tingling has been going on for weeks now.

It is possible that this is not related to a new shingles episode (because of the lack of rash), but related to an issue with postherpetic neuralgia, or issues with the same nerve, which can occur months to years after the initial episode of the shingles.

It is most often associated with pain, but can have issues with anesthesia -- numbness -- so the pins and needles tingling type of sensation could fit with this.

If your doctor feels that this is the case, they can try a nerve-pain type medication, like gabapentin to see if it helps with the tingling.

What is gabapentin? Is it an OTC medicine?

Gabapentin is a prescribed medication, used often for nerve type pains or paresthesias -- the pins and needles feeling. It can help to calm those sensations down to a manageable level.