Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have an ear ache and sore throat mainly on my right side,

I have an ear...

I have an ear ache and sore throat mainly on my right side, runny nose, cough and fever.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the symptoms? Do you have a fever?

Today is day 3 and fever started today

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I don't have a spleen

3/27/2018
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD

Hi, my name is***** am an ENT physician and I will be assisting you today.

How old are you?

Are you eating regular food? Do you get frequent sore throats?

Any change in your voice? Is your cough wet or dry?

I'm 50. I do not get frequent sore throats. I have no tonsils. Cough is wet. Throat is horse.

Got it. Have you tried any over the counter medications yet?

Which ones?

Thera flu and tylenol
I'm using a heating pad on my right side throat...neck. Hot tea and lots of water.

OK. Now that you have a fever and things are not improving it sounds like you may need antibiotics. You should try to see your doctor in the next couple days to be fully evaluated.

In the meantime, continue what you are doing. Rest, hydration, hot tea, throat lozenges, mucinex-DM. But at this point, you may need antibiotics to get you over this illness. Hope that helps.

Thanks. I was debating if I should see my doctor.

Yes, I think you should, especially if not improved by tomorrow or Thursday.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me a 5-star rating. We can continue to speak even after you rate if you would like. Thanks!

Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD