Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Is it possible to experience INSOMNIA from TOPICAL

Is it possible to...

Is it possible to experience INSOMNIA from TOPICAL minoxidil?

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No other med hx. using for telogen effluvium, no other rx meds, no new supplements, I am healthy, get plenty of exercise, etc.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Multi, iron, magnesium,

3/27/2018
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD

Hi, my name is***** and I will try to assist you today.

What dosage of minoxidil are you using?

How long have you been using it?

Any other symptoms, like racing heart? Increasing hair loss?

topical 0.5% once daily on advice from derm (hair loss expert) 34 yo female, normal thyroid, healthy, etc. on for 2.5 months, but noticed correlation pretty soon after using. also, I was using prob A LOT more than I needed to in the beginning, now have backed off, but not stopped bc I see the derm next week. he said I would have to be on 3-6 months prob.

The topical form of this medication can sometimes cause a racing heart. However, it should not directly cause insomnia. Sometimes, people may get insomnia from the racing heart/anxiety, but it does not directly affect the sleep centers of the brain. Hope that helps.

You can speak to your dermatologist about your symptoms as well. Just because the side effect of insomnia is not listed does not mean that it is actually not occurring. Just know that it is pretty rare if topical minoxidil is truly the cause.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me a 5-star rating. We can continue to speak even after you rate if you would like. Thanks!

Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD
thanks!