Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had a blood test done recently and my globulin came back…

I had a blood...

I had a blood test done recently and my globulin came back as 4.2, I am 30 weeks pregnant should I worry about cancer?

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

Yes.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No just pregnancy

3/27/2018
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Congratulations on your pregnancy! Can you tell me please, how old are you? Was this blood test part of your routine screening? Are you referring to albumin (instead of “globulin”?) And can you attach a copy of the blood test results to chat thread to review in context?
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
let me attach it for you. I am 31 years old, the blood test was done for some minor bleeding during pregnancy which ended up being nothing. I know that lab work changes in pregnancy because of the increase in blood volume I just got worried when I noticed this was a tiny bit elevated. The doctor said my labs were fine?
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I am not able to pay for a phone call so can you please review labs and get back to me? I appreciate all of your help!

No problem, this chat alone is fine, the JustAnswer system always offers a call automatically. Please give me a few moments to review your test results and I'll be back to answer your concerns.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thank you! I see that it was 4.6 on a previous test but the reference range for globulin was 1.5-4.5 with that lab so my range may actually be normal. The labs just vary. I just do not want to worry I want to be healthy for baby and I! Thank you Dr. Han!

You're very welcome. Your globulin level was a little high and your albumin a little low, but your total protein is perfectly fine. These are measures of blood proteins which are a broad overview of your own overall nutritional status. I'm happy to say that you are just fine. I recommend you continue to eat a healthy regular diet with plenty of lean proteins, remember you are eating for two! Other than that, nothing at all for you to worry about, you're well on your way toward having a very healthy baby :-)

Anything else I can help you with?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Dr Han you have just made my day!!! Thank you for your response! Thank you thank you !

You are so welcome, it's been my pleasure! I hope I have provided you with helpful information in answering your question. Please let me know if you need anything else. If you have no further questions, please accept the answer by leaving a 5 star positive review. Thank you and have a great day.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I do not need to look further into these as you don't see an issue? Like I said according to some labs 4.2 value is normal! Of course I used google and scared the heck out of myself!

LOL, yes, that is correct, no need to look any further in terms of these results you have forwarded to me. And yes, you are correct, your value being abnormal with this particular lab facility would have been normal with a different lab facility! Google can be incredibly helpful in terms of research and information, but has a terrible bed side manner! ;-) Take care, and rest easy, you have nothing to worry about with your globulin of 4.2.

Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thank you again Dr. Han. So I do not need to worry that my A/G ration is a little low? I cannot help but worry:( So as long as my total protein is within normal limits, which it is. I just wanted to make sure that because of the small increase in globulin and decrease in the other I am not facing any type of cancer or liver disease. I am sorry for the questions, just want to make sure I understand!
You are very welcome. And thank you for accepting the answer your kind 5 star review. No need to worry about the low A/G ratio, as a mathematical calculation with your numbers it makes sense, but with the normal total protein you’re fine. No need to be concerned about any problems with liver disease or cancer at all. Have a nice night and congratulations again on your pregnancy.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Thank you again Dr. Han! I have the worst healthy anxiety lately! I have almost convinced myself I have leukemia, I wake up sore and my collarbone has been hurting for about a week! I am sure all my discomfort is due to pregnancy but for some reason I have such a huge fear that I am ill?
You’re so welcome, I’m
glad if I could provide even the smallest amount of reassurance and peace of mind. Worry, anxiety and fears definitely tend to creep up on women during pregnancy. In my humble opinion, it’s a God given I stick to stay safe and healthy for the growing baby’s sake, so you’re not alone in your experience. All things in moderation though, right? (Including moderation! Lol) All in all Ik sure you’re fine. Just keep to your prenatal care schedule and stay in touch with your OB. And feel free to reach out to me in the future with other health related questions for yourself or for the baby in a few months. Have a good weekend.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I hate to feel this way and worry but everything that comes up on my body I think the worst! Would they have at least caught it in blood work if something was seriously wrong such as a cancer? My WBC are at 13 which is normal for pregnancy. Aren't you a pediatrician Dr. Han? I have read great reviews if it is the same Dr. Han;) I still need to find a pediatrician in the east valley!
I understand. Please try not to worry. As an expectant mom you are receiving close medical monitoring and care. Screening blood work assures your good health. A WBC of 13 is completely fine.
Yes, I am a pediatrician, but I do not work in the east valley.
Richard Han
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD