Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My question for my mom. Is coffee extract supplement safe…

My question for my...

My question for my mom. Is green coffee extract supplement safe for a person who is status post tyroidectomy and parathroidectomy and currently on thyroid medication (Eltroxin), and Onealfa (Alfacalcidol)? Thank you very much

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

No

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

S/p total thyroidectomy and parathyroidectomy (due to a mass)

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

green coffee extract is a supplement used for weight loss

these supplements are not well studied with conventional medications

most likely it will be safe for her taking her medications.

she should make sure to take her Eltroxin thyroid medication on an empty stomach with no other food or medication 30 min before and after

Alfacalcidol can be taken with food

let me know if you have questions

This is question for my mom. She is taking thyroid medication (Eltroxin), and Onealfa (Alfacalcidol) daily for her recent total thyroidectomy and parathyroidectomy.
Will it be safe if she want to take CLA (supplement)? Garcinia Cambogia (supplement)? or Green Tea supplement?

none of these supplements are well studied with conventional medications.

most likely taking them will be safe

but she should let her doctor know about them before starting to take them.

Thank you very much for your answers! I really appreciate your time for my questions. Thank you, ***** ***** Have a great day!

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down see the ratings area)
You can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician