Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I' ve started taking penicillin and its giving me

Customer Question
Hi I' ve started...

Hi I' ve started taking penicillin and its giving me ridiculously painful heartburn. I can't even eat its so painful

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Eating

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Since the 3rd day of the antibiotics not really

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
3/27/2018
Doctor: Connie Pennington,
 replied 3 months ago
Connie Pennington

Hello, I am Dr. Pennington. I would like to help you.

Why are you taking penicillin? How long was it prescribed?

How old are you? Gender?

Hi , it was prescribed for a week for swollen lymph nodes,
I am 24 , female
Doctor: Connie Pennington,
 replied 3 months ago

Ok. It unfortunately is a common side effect.

Worst case scenario, you may have to call your physician and get a different antibiotic.

Some things that might make it better during your last 4 days of treatment:

• Swallow pills when sitting upright or preferably while standing.
  • Swallow pills one at a time.
  • Swallow pills with 4 to 8 ounces of water.
  • Remain in an upright position for two hours after swallowing pills.
  • Ask your doctor or pharmacist if there is a liquid form of the antibiotic you’re prescribed.
  • Ask your doctor if a less caustic antibiotic is available for treatment.
  • Ask your doctor if a sublingual, subcutaneous, or intravenous, forms of antibiotics are available for treatment.
  • The mucosal membrane lining the esophagus and stomach can be bolstered with mucilage for added protection against esophagitis. Mucilage is a substance produced by plants and is found in aloe vera, licorice (use DGL form), slippery elm, and marshmallow root. Supplements that contain these ingredients are easily found over the counter.

Is there anything else I can answer for you?