Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Just looking for information on radiation seeding for

Just looking for information...

Just looking for information on radiation seeding for prostrate cancer. Pros and cons. Side affects etc/

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

I have not kept a detailed record. Although i have had two biopsies and have an appointment with a radiation oncologist.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My PCP knows my history, but the oncologist doesn't yet, although I think he can access my records.

3/27/2018
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** am US trained, Board Certified with 30 years of patient experience. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

Ok

I'm sorry you have been diagnosed with Prostate Cancer. Seeding and Brachytherapy has been around for years and is one way to cure the cancer. The side effects are minimal and may include skin irritation, bowel change primarily. The benefits are short-term radiation directed at the Prostate alone. The decision for the specific type of therapy needs to be discussed based on biopsy results, surgical classification of the cancer and your overall medical history. This is not an easy decision, but one that needs to be fully discussed to determine which therapy is best for you. Also consider CyberKnife, Robotic Surgery, Hormonal Therapy. Leave your options open until you meet with the Oncologist.

I hope I have addressed your concerns. Have I?

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned your 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

I am a radiation oncology doctor

prostate brachytherapy alone is indicated for patients who have Gleason 6 prostate cancer and their PSA levels have to be below 10.

these are considered low risk prostate cancer

you are radioactive for about 2 months with these seeds in you.

do you know your PSA level and your Gleason score?

the pros for prostate brachy is that the radiation is given in one day, one surgical procedure for the seeds to be dropped into your prostate so you don't have to come in for daily radiation therapy treatment

the cons are that you are radioactive for about 2 months and those seeds give off radiation

and you can have some burning with urination for about 2 months.

most radiation oncology doctors have stopped doing seed brachytherapy treatment because the reimbursement is low and the effort and time to do a procedure is long.

so there are not a lot of doctors still doing these procedures.

Dr. Richard Stock at Mt. Sinai in NYC and Dr. Zelesky at MSKCC in NYC do have good teams who can do them

most doctors today prefer external beam radiation.

feducial seed markers can be placed into the prostate to make the radiation from outside very very accurate.

some centers are also doing SBRT stereotactic body radiosurgery for prostate cancer of 5 treatments every other day for low and intermediate risk prostate cancer with very high cure rates

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
I'm on the phone. I will read in just a minute.
Thanks for the answer. My Gleason scale is 6 & 7 and my PSA is 0.8. It sounds like the seeding would be best for me. I have had some IBS and the radiation beams would seem to be more problematic for that.

thanks for the positive feedback

external beam radiation has a very very low chance to irritate your bowels, especiailly if you had SBRT 5 fractions and gold feducial markers placed in your prostate gland to improve accuracy of targeting.

talk with your radiation oncology doctor to see what they say.

I bet you will be fine if you get seeds or if you get external beam radiation therapy.

Will do. I have an appointment next week. Thanks for the feedback.

thank you for your positive rating
You can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com