Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Doctor. So recently I asked you about inflammation on penis…

Hello again doctor. So recently...
Hello again doctor. So recently I asked you about inflammation on penis which you did say you saw. Yesterday I took some azithromycin, 5 day course, and the inflammation has already went down and the discharge has relatively stopped! And that's only after 1 treatment. Now that the inflammation is going down I'm wondering if this looks like a syphilis sore or just a result of the inflammation coming down? My last syphilis test was 30 days post exposure and that was negative. I know azithromycin is also used to treat syphilis so this would make sense. I've also passed all my std screenings again at 30 days. I've even tested for Trich and mycoplasma which have come up negative. No specific test can account for the discharge and inflammation, and a few other symptoms which have stopped since taking the medicine. And lastly, I've had 1 sexual partner since my last exposure. (Only after testing negative for everything). Since no test has been able to identify my situation, should I make sure they also take azithromycin to clear up any possible infection they may have? Since no test will probably be able to verify it for them either. Do you think I can get a second prescription?The only reason I was given the initial azithromycin is because of a general redness in my throat. My nurse practitioner had prescribed me azithromycin because she believed it was due to mycoplasma pneumoniae. It just so has happened to also reduce these symptomsThe first pic is before medication, the second is after medication, and the possible sore I am concerned about ??I know this is alot! I'm sorry! But thank you!
3/27/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome back and thanks for requesting me. Actually, the sore that you have pointed out in these pictures is not consistent with syphilis, syphilitic sores are usually much different in appearance and they would appear as punched out lesions in most cases. Also, syphilis would also cause a lesion which is painless in nature in most cases. If I remember correctly you had pain in the region so that essentially rules out syphilis. Also, the fact that you did get tested for syphilis and were found to be negative also indicates that you are unlikely to have this condition. The azithromycin can treat syphilis but it can also treat many different atypical bacteria and it is very likely that the inflammation is coming down because you had an atypical infection like ureaplasma urealyticum for example.

At the moment I don't think your partner needs the medication as if they had the infection, some symptoms should have shown up by now. If they develop any symptoms then yes they should be treated as well but at the moment I don't think they need the medication.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

My partners main symptom that is concerning me is fatigue? They still are fatigued almost chronically actually. I also had fatigue earlier this month so that's a little frightening. Could be completely unrelated but the fact we both had that symptom is interesting. Do you think this is enough to get them treated or no?Also the mycoplasma test I did also tested for ureaplasma and still nothing! This is all very weird to me.But the news of it being inconsistent with syphilis is good.

No, I don't think so, fatigue is a nonspecifc symptom which can occur because of various things including simple stress as well.

There are various other atypical organisms which we cannot test for, so it is possible that you had one of those and the azithromycin dealt with it.

But syphilis is highly unlikely here.

Do you have any more questions?

Dr. Muneeb Ali