Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

It about my husband. His legs and feet have been swollen for…

Good Morning, It about...

Good Morning, It about my husband John. His legs and feet have been swollen for a week now and he also have blisters that will appear. Because we don't have insurance I can't get him to see a doctor. What can I do?

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

Yes swelling in both feet and his left hands.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Well he was taking medicine for high blood pressure but he stop.

3/27/2018
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor

My name is***** and am reviewing your question now. I will respond to your question or request additional information shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Is there any other medical condition related to liver or kidney? When was his last cardiac work up?

No he never have any medical condition related to his liver or kidney. I believe his doctor visit was in September, 2017.

How old is he? Any shortness of breath at night? How much is the swelling? Does it feel warm to touch, any pain? Does it look red ?

John is 54, no shortness of breath. the swelling was in both legs, feet and left hand. no it does not feel warm, and he did say that that is feet is tender, and it is red on top of his left feet.
his leg swelling have gone down now it is his feet and he also have a blister that form on top of his left hand.

Thanks for the information.

Bilateral swellings are related to cardiovascular problems, liver or kidney disease. Sometimes, prolonged standing may cause bilateral swellings. Although the swelling is getting down, I suspect he may have an undiagnosed systematic problem. I would encourage you to visit your doctor to get blood test, blood biochemistry along with physical exam. This will rule out if any systematic problem, if any exist. In the mean time, you can follow conservative measures at home like taking breaks between the works, elevating legs, using pillow to elevate his leg. Any redness you see could be just a capillaries congestion or cellulitis. If it's tender to touch, it means cellulitis and antibiotics would be required. I see so many reason to visit a doctor now.

Please leave a positive rating by clicking stars on your screen so that I can get the credit for my time with you. If you have any follow-up question,you can reply to this post.

Regards,

Dr. Shah

Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor