Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Im a smoker i m having sternum cracking and tightness when i…

Customer Question
Im a smoker i...

Im a smoker i m having sternum cracking and tightness when i breath or chest tightness when i rest.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you ever dealt with this before? Are you having any shortness of breath?

Its only happening from last 2 weeks

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I also had acne on my sternum.. from last 3 weeks im having sore throat with dryness inside throat and i have white or clear mucus forming inside throat

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 3 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

What is your age and gender?

What did your chest x-ray show?

What are the treatment tried / done?

My age is 27.. havent consulted doc yet

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Ok i wanted what these symptoms are .. if any heart issue or lungs or sternum issue .. i also snore loud when i sleep
Pls help what should i talk when i go to a physician and how should i diagnose ?

Your symptoms can be due to;

1) Bronchitis

2) Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) / acid reflux.

Both of them can be concomitant.

This is not likely due to heart disease or pneumonia (lung issue).

You may get a chest x-ray for just precaution.

Following measures are recommended:

1) Adequate rest / bed rest if symptoms are severe.

2) cough suppressants such as codeine and dextromethorphan.

3) ipratropium bromide

4) theophylline

5) steroids.

6) Occasionally antibiotics may be prescribed.

7) Zinc supplement; this increases the body immunity.

For acid reflux, you may take Prilosec and Tums.

You may get sleep studies to rule out obstructive sleep apnea for your snoring.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

The thing is I dont cough at all. is bronchitis dangerous. Is it curable ? how long would it take ?
Is smoking cause of bronchitis ?

Bronchitis may be allergic. A mild allergic bronchitis can cause just tightness in chest.

Since you do not have cough the other possibility is costochondritis for your symptoms. Please read about it

https://www.medicinenet.com/costochondritis_and_tietze_syndrome/article.htm

Anxiety too may be playing some role here.

It is privilege assisting you.

Esophageal spasm, acid reflux, esophageal motility disorders are some of the issues which may be responsible for your symptoms too.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Stay blessed.