Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My mother was having some blood dran and it was clotting…

Customer Question
My mother was having...

My mother was having some blood dran and it was clotting immediately. She is a bedridden patietn suffering from an infected bedsore.The doctor required shebe tested for live and kidney functions and the assistant nurse was unable to draw blood claiming that it was clotting in the test tube. IT must be mentioned the nurse was not mixing the tube to ensure no clottiing. My question is can withdrawn blood clotting quickly be indicative of a problem<,

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

Liver funtions and kidney functions

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

The patient was put on 500 CIpro twice a day starting yesterday . She is under begative pressure wound therapy.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 3 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Can negative pressure wound therapy affect patient vitals and is there anything we shold be looking out for?
A written response would be ok?

If the blood is clotting fast and early, this can be related to medical issues and should be investigated as following;

1) platelet count,
2) bleeding time (BT),
3) prothrombin time (PT),
4) activated partial thromboplastin time (aPTT),
5) thrombin time (TT)
6) peripheral blood smear,
7) platelet aggregation in response to ADP, epinephrine, collagen, and ristocetin;
8) platelet release assays,
9) coagulation factor assays,
10) assessment of factor XIII activity via clot solubility testing
11) Tests of fibrinolysis; measurement of fibrin split products and D-dimer levels.

Negative pressure wound therapy is not likely to affect the vitals significantly.

Apologies for any intrusion of those automatic offers for phone calls. These are produced by the website automatically and outside of my control.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

thank you

You are very welcome.

Wishing her a speedy recovery.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Best wishes and kindest regards,

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Stay blessed.