Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have no idea whom specifically to ask but this is about a…

I have no idea whom...
I have no idea whom specifically to ask but this is about a Rx for Viagra. If I get 100 mg of Viagra it's $350+. They said if the Rx is written for 20 mg it's like $4/pill. I can't understand why that is.
3/27/2018
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

There is no good explanation, but I can make some comments.

The 20 mg strength of sildenafil is a generic for a different brand product, called Revatio, which is used for the treatment of pulmonary hypertension. When used for erectile dysfunction, the most common dose is 50 mg, with a maximum dose of 100 mg.

When only the brand name product has been available, the Revatio was less expensive than the Viagra, although both were expensive. When the generic for Revatio was released to the market, it was priced much cheaper. There is no logic to explain it. The drug companies can set their prices for a variety of reasons.

At this point, doctors are taking advantage of the lower price of the 20 mg sildenafil, and when using it for erectile dysfunction, the man can take multiple pills to achieve an adequate dose. If 100 mg is needed, then five pills of the 20 mg sildenafil can be taken.

As I have typed this, I have gotten a phone call and need to step away from the computer. I will be back online later if you have any follow-up questions.

I am back online now. I apologize for the absence.

Do you have any follow-up questions.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Do most MDs write for the 20 mg routinely? This young guy might stick to the rules a little more than the older guys in the practice.

No, because some doctors are more or less aware of the cost of medicines than others. But the vast majority of doctors would be willing to write for the 20 mg sildenafil if a patient shows the doctor how much money can be saved.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Dr. D. Love, Doctor