Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have vulvar lichen sclerosis. I used a steroid cream twice…

Hi. I have vulvar...

Hi. I have vulvar lichen sclerosis. I used a steroid cream twice a week if few

Doctor's Assistant: When were you prescribed steroid? How severe were any side effects?

Montgs. Haven’t used anything for few weeks because slight itching I had before has disappeared. Is there hsrn

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about sclerosis?

Harm in not using anything?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No severe side effects. No severe symptons No

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** am US trained, Board Certified with 30 years of patient experience. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

I saw my gynaecologist. She had me on the cream for few
Months. I see her in s few months but haven’t used cream for 6-8 weeks because itching has gone. Any harm in leaving it?
Don’t need to call thx. Pls respond here. Thx.

I'm sorry you have Lichen Sclerosis. There is no harm in not treating it if you have no symptoms. What is your age? You could have a spontaneous remission.

I am a very young “67”. On no medication other than melatonin to help with sleep.

We don't know what causes this, but treatment can be with steroid creams, CO2 Laser. Discuss the Laser option with your GYN.

There is a very small chance that Lichen Sclerosis converts to cancer, with or without any treatment. This would require that you have frequent evaluations, at least every 6 months and it any changes then appropriate treatment started. If you are asymptomatic, there is no real need for treatment.

I hope I have addressed your concerns. Have I?

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned your 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

Thanks. One more question. Assuming the architecture of the area continues to erode, does this affect bladder et all ?
does continuous use of the steroid cream cause harm to body?

Usually not the bladder, but it can spread in your vagina or adjacent skin. Continous use of Steroids helps with any itching/irritation but does not cause harm to the rest of your body.

Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Done. Thank you.

You are welcome.