Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I've been feeling some mild angina over the last few days,

I've been feeling some mild...
I've been feeling some mild angina over the last few days, but I'm not sure if its something serious. I've also noticed a mild tingling sensation in part of my face that comes and goes. What could these symptoms mean? I'm a 29 year old female. I take 100mcg of Levothyroxine, Zyrtec and Flonase for my seasonal allergies, and Zquil for occasional insomnia. I weigh 250lbs.
3/27/2018
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

So can you describe the chest pain please? Is it dull, stabbing , burning or sharp ? Related to food or exertion?

Does it improve with anything e.g rest?

Does it spread anywhere?

Its dull. It doesn't seem to be related to food or exertion. I'm not sure if it gets better with rest. It doesn't spread anywhere.

So its very localized and you can put a finger on exactly where it hurts?

What does it mean?

Alright well heart pain or angina is never localized and you cannot exactly point at one site . Its more likely to be muscular pain and muscle pain can sometimes take time to improve. Do you have a cough at all ? Any breathing issues?

I don't have a cough, and I don't think that I have any breathing issues.
angina spreads somewhere? How does that work?

Alright thats great then . Relax and rest assured it isnt heart related. Its muscular pain which should improve with antiinflammatories like ibuprofen.

Angina spreads to arms or jaws and is never localized like you have it

If its a muscular pain, what could have caused it. The chest is kind of a weird place to get that.

Well that would need further probing actually . Any lumps in your breasts at all ?

I don't think so. Should I be worried about this?

I dont see any concerns there if no cough ,no breathing issues , no lumps . It shouldnt be anything serious . Take anti inflammatory like ibuprofen and see how it goes. You may apply topical capsaicin cream for that too.

Hope it gets better soon.

Ok, but what about the strange tingling sensation in my face that I occasionally feel? What's that?
Also, is it weird to get a muscle pain in the chest area?
Can you give me a full description of angina for future reference?

Alright let me write it for you

Ok, but what about my other questions?

Angina is chest pain or discomfort which is often stabbing (although the presentation may vary) in nature , which worsens with activity and improves on rest . It typically radiates to jaws, back or arm .

Tingling sensation in face isnt a feature of angina . It can happen due to various reasons like a slow parathyroid gland , anxiety or mineral deficiencies like iron deficiency , Vitamin B12 deficiency.

Is it weird to get a muscle pain in the chest? How long might this last?

It should improve with anti inflammatory medicine. Shouldnt take more then a couple of days to show effect. Any issues with reflux ? Indigestion ? Is the pain constant through out the day?

Yeah, its constant throughout the day. But I dont think that it has anything to do with acid reflux.

Yes everything you have mentioned suggests its muscular so i would recommend treating it on those lines. Should improve with pain relief and topical applications.

Ok. Just one more question. Can ibuprofen be taken with food? Does that reduve its effectiveness. Wwhat happens if I take it on an empty stomach?

Better to take with food as it can irritate your stomach when empty

Please reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars in rating corner of your page if you are satisfied.

Stay blessed.

Regard

Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
I see. Thanks a lot. :)
Can ibuprofen cause drowsiness if its taken along with a sleeping pill like Zquil? Are there any good anti inflammatory or topical medicines that you would recommend?

You can take naproxen. Topically you may apply piroxicam gel or ibuprofen .

Drowsiness is due to sleeping pill and not ibuprofen.

Hope it answers your query

thanks a lot. :)