Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I've just been in a car with a faulty battery, for an hour…

I've just been in...

I've just been in a car with a faulty battery, for an hour with.

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Nothing terrible, just dull chest pains, i beleive inhave been breathing battery acid fumes. but not concentrated.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you ever dealt with this before? Are you having any shortness of breath?

No just a bit of chest pain, which lasted for about 10 or 20 minuets. is there likely to be a link between these pains and the breathing in of fumes? if so do you have any advice in what action i should take?

3/27/2018
Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board-certified consultant with over 30 years of experience. I’m reviewing your question and reply you soon.

Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

What are your age and gender?

Associated nausea, heartburn?

Lightheadedness?

Are you taking any medications?

Any medical history?

Have you developed such dull chest pain after such exposure?

Shortness of breath, cough?

Waiting for your response.
Thanks

I am an 18yr old male.I have not experienced heartburn/nausea so much as dull chest pain which i would say was lung related, this only lasted for 10 to 20 minutes roughly 1/2 an hour after getting out of the car.No lightheadedness.The only medication i have taken is Panedoll which has worked.nothing stands out in my medical history which could be related.No shortness of breath, i have a bit of a cough but i already had a cold so it is difficult to say if this has been caused by this incident.

Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.

Thanks for all these additional information.

I understand your concern.

Well as you describe, as your symptoms lasted for 30 minutes and you don't have any symptoms of headaches, nausea, dizziness, vomiting, shortness of breath or breathing difficulty, eyes redness or itching, chest burning feeling, gurgle breathing sounds or chest palpitations then there is no need to worry.

Do steam inhalation and saline gargles.
You should take the nasal saline spray and OTC Nasonex spray.
You should take OTC Zantac and Claritin.
You should hydrate yourself with warm liquids.
You should start a multivitamin supplement and vitamin C lozenges.
Take OTC Robitussin DM for a cough.
Elevate your head while lying down.
If your symptoms will persist then see your doctor for further evaluation and management ASAP.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.

Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It’s requested to avoid poor/bad rating.

Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.

It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.

Waiting for your response.

Thanks.

Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor
thank you Doctor Anil,I will try what you have suggested and will let you know if i have any further issues.The problem has not been ongoing but i just wanted to be sure that there are no likely health side effects long or short term.
I greatly appreciate you repose, and will contact you again if i have any further queries.

I wish for your good health.
Welcome.
Kind Regards
Dr.Anil