Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Question about precum pep and hiv

Second opinion] Question about precum...
Second opinion] Question about precum pep and hiv
3/27/2018
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.

Please ask your question.

Dear customer,

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.

What is your question on precum, pep, and HIV?

Thank you!

Can I stop PEP at 29 days? What is the risk from precum? And can I take an oraquick test at day 30 since I am out of the country and can not test here

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

The medication becomes effective in the blood within 7 - 21 days of taking the PEP. So, yes you can stop the PEP after consulting your doctor. The risk of transmission of infection only with precum is very low and negligible.

Oraquick test when done after day 30 provides 90 to 95% accuracy. So, you can do this test after 30 days. Later you can have a 4th generation test done at 6 weeks or repeat the OraQuick test at 3 months for a final conclusive result.

Take care.

Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger on a mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.
Thank you!

Dear customer,
Were you able to read my answer?
Do you have any further questions?
Thank you!

but I don’t understand. I can stop after 10 days?
Dear customer,
Thank you!For how many days were you prescribed this medicine?How many days have you taken it?

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

You should not stop it before 28 days. However, the medication begins to act quickly and provides good protection and prevention against transmission of the virus.

Take care.

Thank you!

Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor