Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have been having digestion problems for a while. Best way…

Customer Question
I have been having...

I have been having digestion problems for a while. Best way I describe it is that I'll have cramps from gas, and if I try to relieve myself it'll be like opening a pop bottle that had just been shook. I've tried different diets and laxatives but nothing works

Doctor's Assistant: When were you prescribed laxatives? How severe were any side effects?

Since before November, I think. I stopped taking them right away cause it just didn't do anything. Even tried suppositories

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about the cramps?

I've talked to a couple about this and I'vebeen told diets and I have been checkfor blockage

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

As a kid I was very constipated

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 3 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

What is your age?

Do you have heartburn, diarrhea/constipation, nausea, vomiting, fever, loss of appetite, bloating, gas, tenderness on abdomen?

Constipated, just recently had diarrhea the other day and it was a great relief.

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

35
Don't knowif it's related but I can not sit down for no more than 10 minutes before my tailbone starts to hurt

Okay. Writing you the answer and it may take further 5 minutes.

Your symptoms can be due to irritable bowel syndrome.

A trial to the IBS treatment should be given to see the therapeutic response, as follows;

1) Dietary modification; you would be the best judge to choose the best suitable diet for you.

2) Antispasmodics agents (hyoscine, cimetropium, pinaverium, and peppermint oil)

3) Lubiprostone

4) Linaclotide

This should hopefully abate your symptoms.

A recommended diet resource for IBS;

http://www.webmd.com/ibs/controlling-irritable-bowel-syndrome-with-diet

Diet resource for the elimination of the diet when there are food allergies;

http://global.oup.com/us/companion.websites/9780195371109/pdf/00_Mullin_Appendix_3.pdf

Diet resource for what to eat and avoid:

http://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/

Another extensive resource for IBS diet:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5444258/

Following may help you;

1) Avoid

a) Cabbage

b) Beer

c) Legumes

d) Cheese

e) Beans

2) This may help;

a) Bismuth subsalicylate

b) Activated charcoal

c) Simethicone; (Maalox, Mylanta); Simethicone causes gas bubbles to break up.

d) Beano; contains an enzyme (alpha-galactosidase), which helps to breakdown certain complex carbohydrates.

All are available without prescription.

Avoid foods that appear to aggravate symptoms. These may include milk and dairy products, certain fruits or vegetables, whole grains, artificial sweeteners etc. But this is based on the personal observation for the aggravating food.

Discontinue the following if you do them;

1) gum chewing,

2) smoking,

3) drinking carbonated beverages, and

4) gulping food and liquids.

Ideally you should consult a gastroenterologist who can perform the following investigations which are the mainstay of the evaluation and which will give true perspective of the cause;

1) Blood investigations do give the clue. A complete blood count, biochemical profile, serum calcium, blood glucose, and thyroid function tests are routinely recommended in the evaluation of patients with constipation.

2) Depending on these blood results further blood work is done; serum protein electrophoresis, urine porphyrins, serum parathyroid hormone, and serum cortisol levels, may be done to identify or rule out myeloma, porphyria, hyperparathyroidism, and Addison's disease.

3) Barium enema or barium meal with follow through study

4) Colonic transit time; it can provide a better understanding of the rate of stool movement through the colon.

5) Other investigations like Anorectal manometry, balloon expulsion test, Defecography etc.

6) Colonoscopy / sigmoidoscopy

Following measures can be helpful;

1) Increased fluids

2) Prune juice and dried plums

3) Increased fiber; preparation like Benfiber can be tried.

4) An herbal tea, "Smooth Move," have been found to have good result in moving the bowel.

5) Toilet after meals; Toileting 15 to 30 minutes after eating makes use of the gastrocolic reflex. The gastrocolic reflex results in propagating spikes in the colon and rectum within a half an hour after a meal. When we eat, our stomach distends and this sends reflex signals to the large intestines (colon) facilitating for their movements. If one utilizes next half hour of meal, for toilet, the stool elimination time is decreased.

6) Increase in exercise

7) Stimulant laxatives stimulate intestinal motility and increase intestinal secretion. They are anthraquinones (cascara, aloe, and senna) and diphenylmethanes (bisacodyl, sodium picosulfate, phenolphthalein).

8) Avoidance of stress

9) Wheat bran, 20 gms per day can decrease the rectal transit time

10) Vegetables,

11) Fruits (especially dried fruits)

12) Cereals like whole wheat, bran or oatmeal

13) Celery

14) Grainy breads, such as whole wheat, rye or pumpernickel

15) Legumes, such as chickpeas, baked beans and lima beans

16) You can try ground flaxseed sprinkled on salads, cooked vegetables, and cereals.

Food which cause constipation and should be avoided are;

Ice cream

Cheese

Meat / Red meat

Chips, cookies and pizza

Pastries

Foods that contain white flour

Pastas

Junk food or fast food

Banana

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Stay blessed.