Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My psychiatrist recommended

Hi.My psychiatrist recommended...
Hi.My psychiatrist recommended
3/27/2018
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

I am sorry, but it looks like your question was cut off as it ends mid-sentence.

Could you ask your question again?

Absolutely.My psychiatrist recommended that I increase 10mgs of Paxil to 20mgs.However,just a few days ago you said something different.What is it?

You previously told me that you were already increased to taking 20 mg (10 ml). When you asked if it could be further increased after 8 days of 20 mg, I said that the recommended dosing adjustment is an increase of 10 mg per day, which would be an increase from 20 mg to 30 mg (or 10 ml to 15 ml).

A doctor is not obligated to follow the dosing recommendations, but the dosing recommendation is what is recommended by the manufacturer and approved by the FDA.

Im still confused.

The first issue that is confusing is that you have told me two different things about your dose. You previously told me that you were already increased to 20 mg (10 ml). But today, you say that your psychiatrist recommend that you increase the Paxil from 10 mg to 20 mg.

What dose are you taking?

What dose were you taking before the increase about 2 weeks ago?

Im sorry but im currently taking 10mls.

If you are taking 10 ml per day, then you are already taking 20 mg, since the Paxil solution is 10 mg/5 ml.

Since you are already taking 10 ml (20 mg), then it does not make sense that your Psychiatrist would recommend to increase the dose form 10 mg to 20 mg.

I suppose that it is possible that the Psychiatrist misunderstood and thought you were taking 10 mg instead of 10 ml, and if so, the recommendation to increase to 20 mg would make sense. But I cannot know whether the Psychiatrist had this misunderstanding.

ok.How about if I was to increase it to 20 mls?

That would be more than is recommended, which is what we discussed several days ago. An increase from 10 ml to 20 ml would be an increase from 20 mg to 40 mg. And the dosing recommendation is to increase in steps of 10 mg per day.

So, if someone taking 10 ml (20 mg) needs a higher dose, the recommended next step would be to increase the dose to 15 ml (30 mg). If the 15 ml (30 mg) dose still is not sufficient, the subsequent step would be to increase the dose to 20 ml (40 mg).

ok.How much would be 15mls in teaspoons?

15 ml is 3 teaspoons.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
ok.Thanks.