Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

How should I treat a stye on my upper eyelid?? Swollen

How should I treat...

How should I treat a stye on my upper eyelid??

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is your eyelid swollen at all?

Yes. Swollen daysred. using warm washcloth compresses and antibiotic ointment for 4 days

3/27/2018
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD

Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Can you tell me please, has the stye on your upper eyelid become larger, worse or painful at all? How many times a day do you do the warm washcloth compress and which antibiotic ointment are you using?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Warm cloth 3
Times a day
And
Erythromycin gel 3
times a day
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Do
not call

In understand, thank you for that information. Assuming the stye has not worsened over the 4 days since you have started, you should continue to do the same for at least another 7-10 days. A few suggestions I can add are the following: 1. instead of a warm washcloth, you can use a small potato, heat it up in the microwave (without overheating or exploding!) then wrap the warm potato with a wet paper towel. The warmed up potato stays warm longer and will provide a longer lasting warm compress. 2. Gently scrub and cleanse the area of the stye with warm water and soap. Given enough time doing all of the above, your stye should clear up. If it should not and especially if it becomes very firm/hard, then consider seeing an ophthalmologist, as some styes rarely become what is known as a chalazion and require removal.

Any other questions?

Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Richard Han
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD