Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I'm having a pressure like feeling in the right side of my…

I'm having a pressure like...
I'm having a pressure like feeling in the right side of my neck along with fullness in my ear, and the pressure extends up to my eye and head. I'm worried it's my carotid artery or something serious. I'm 27 female, am I at risk for something like that?
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/27/2018
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I see you have been having a pressure or fullness like feeling in the regions on the right side as you have described above, and you have been wondering whether this could be something serious in nature such as carotid artery related issues etc. As a Neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation, and I can certainly help you in this regard.

Please see, first of all I want to inform and reassure you, this does not appear anything serious in nature including any carotid artery disease etc

If you are especially worried about carotid artery conditions such as carotid artery dissection etc then this is unlikely the cause for this type of pressure or fullness like feeling

First of all for carotid artery dissection to take place there has to be some significant trauma or injury to the neck region, especially blunt trauma to the neck, you have not mentioned any such major injuries to the neck region so I assume no such injuries have occurred, so this does not appear carotid artery dissection causing this pressure or fullness like feeling

And also the carotid artery dissection causes very severe or excruciating pain in the neck and other regions you have mentioned above, not just pressure or fullness like feeling

Also there are more symptoms expected if such condition exists rather than just pressure like or fullness like feelings alone

And also any other serious conditions such as any tumors/cancers etc also do not present like this and another important point is around your age serious problems causing pressure or fullness like feeling in the above mentioned regions are very unlikely. This type of pressure or fullness like feeling in the above mentioned region around your age is due to one of the following benin reversible reasons rather than anything serious in nature such as tumors/cancers or carotid artery conditions such as dissection of the carotid artery etc;

Minor neck sprain

Minor muscle strain in the neck region

Minot ligament or tendon sprain or strain

Stress related

Health anxiety related

Minor musculoskeletal pain etc

This can be treated with the following;

Taking adequate rest

Avoiding excessive neck movements such as twisting etc

Avoiding lifting any heavy weight etc

You may try the following;

Adequate fluid intake

Heat or cold compress

Epsom salt compress

Local pain relieving gels or creams such as Biofreeze or Myoflex

Oral pain relieving OTC agents

Later if required a course of physical therapy etc.

But this type of pressure or fullness feeling in the above mentioned region is definitely not indicative of anything serious in nature

Once again I can very confidently reassure you, there is certainly no suspicion for any serious head and neck region pathologies in you such as carotid artery conditions like carotid artery dissection or any other carotid artery conditions or any tumors/cancers or any other serious conditions, this is just a benign reversible condition, if this persists please get this further evaluated and investigated by your dr, but this certainly appears some minor reversible issue such as the ones mentioned above and there is definitely no suspicion for any serious health conditions causing these types of new symptoms in the regions you have mentioned above - and this is expected to completely resolve in the very near future, so please not to be scared.

Wishing & reassuring you a quick & complete recovery! And also Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & professional effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. Rating me now will not close your question and if you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

For future questions you can follow up either here, or you can reach me directly with "a question for Dr Subbanna MD" through my Just Answer direct link mentioned below here;

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsubbannamd

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Thank you very much for your reassurance. I appreciate it.

You are very welcome! My pleasure! I am very glad you found the above information helpful!

Once again, absolutely no suspicion for anything serious, this is benign & reversible, so certainly not to be scared, and also you can fully relax!

Wishing you all the very best!

Thanks & Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)