Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

How to start quitting from smoking?

Doctor’s Answer: The basic steps of quitting are the following:

1. Make the Decision to Quit
  2. Understand Your High-Risk Times
  3. Stock Up on Supplies
  4. Pick a Quit Date
  5. Let People Know
  6. Remove Smoking Reminders
Read full interaction below »

How to start quitting from smoking?
3/26/2018
Doctor: Dr. A, Board Certified MD replied 3 months ago
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD

The basic steps of quitting are the following:

1. Make the Decision to Quit
  2. Understand Your High-Risk Times
  3. Stock Up on Supplies
  4. Pick a Quit Date
  5. Let People Know
  6. Remove Smoking Reminders

This website will detail a lot of what you can do in each step: https://www.addictionsandrecovery.org/quit-smoking-plan.htm

Beyond that, you can join support groups.

Also, speak to your doctor - there are certain medications that can really help people quit smoking.

Congratulations on wanting to quit!

Is it possible for you to provide a plan for me to start?

These plans have to be very personalized and tailored to each individual person. Your own doctor may know you best and be able to provide the best plan for you.

If that is not feasible, this is a great online resource that will help you build your own plan: https://smokefree.gov/build-your-quit-plan

I can give you the basic steps as I have outlined above, but quitting is a very personal goal that you have to take charge of on your own. Hope that helps.