Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I just found out by an endocrinologist that i am insulin…

I just found out by...
I just found out by an endocrinologist that i am insulin resistant or pre-diebetes. I need to know what is the best diet for someone who is insulin resistant example (40% carb, 40% protein, 20% fat daily intake of calories)? What supplements should i be taking and best foods to eat, i already know to stay on the low-glycemic foods and drink on a regular basis raw apple-cider vinegar and fiber supplement.Also would it beneficial to seek out hormone replacement therapy?
3/27/2018
Connie Pennington

Good morning James! I am sorry no one answered you last pm. i just signed on this am. I am Dr. Pennington.

I think I can offer some good resources to you. First let me ask you a few questions:

1. Are you overweight?

2. Any medications, like for blood pressure or anything?

3. Do you exercise?

This is one of the best resources I know of to assist you. See attached.

I would still like to ask some questions when we get a chance.

For some reason I cannot attach the comprehensive guide, only the food plan. The file may be to large. I would like for you to have them both.

I can email it to you though.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
doctor my email address is***@******.***1.) i am overweight
2. no medications at all
3. trying to get exercise but most of the time i feel fatiqued with no energy. Im getting my sleep apnea results in a few hours.

Excellent on the sleep study. Sleep apnea can cause fatigue/low energy as well.

You are so young that diet and exercise will likely turn everything around with no permanent affects to you!

It is awesome that you are motivated to do so.

The diet plan I sent is specifically designed to turn around "metabolic syndrome"

Metabolic Syndrome is when there is increased weight, high or borderline high blood pressure, pre-diabetes, and even higher than normal cholesterol/triglycerides.

This diet will be perfect for you. Diet and exercise is also the best way to increase testosterone levels.

I will email the guide to you. Let me know if you have received it.

Also a good list of supplements for insulin resistance is:

Fish oil, Chromium, DHEA, Vitamin D, Lipoic Acid, Magnesium, Cinnamon, and Resveratrol.

Life Extension is a good affordable company that I recommend a lot.

My pick from them for you would be as follows:

1. Super Omega-3 Plus EPA/DHA with Sesame Lignans, Olive Extract, Krill & Astaxanthin

2. Tri Sugar Shield®

3. DHEA 25mg

4. Super R-Lipoic Acid

5. Liquid Vitamin D3-- up to 2-3 drops a day

6. CinSulin® with InSea2® and Crominex® 3+

7. Neuro-Mag® Magnesium L-Threonate--take in the evening as Mg helps with insomnia

8. BioActive Complete B-Complex

These supplements are all excellent to combine with an exercise/weight loss program.

Fiber and apple cider vinegar are also great.

Mark Hyman has a book out called, "The Blood Sugar Solution" which I highly recommend.

He is the leader of the Functional Medicine Program, which published the diet plan I have sent to you.

I hope this helps!

I am certainly here if you have any questions.

Anything else I can help you with?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I just got confirmed for sleep apnea! :) Should i be eating more protein or fat in my diet? I also watched youtube videos of Dr. Eric Berg he suggests insulin resistant people should eat only when your hungry, eat more fats in diet, eat large meals 2-3 meals a day only. Do you agree or disagree Dr?

Dr. Berg has some good stuff.

He promotes a ketogenic diet, which is high in fat and ultra low in carbs. It works but it is very hard to do and monitor. He also promotes fasting.

If following his plan, I recommend using a keto blood test, finger stick meter/kit to make sure you are in ketosis, or the diet does not work.

Honestly, if you are just starting out, go with what is easy so you do not stress over food.

The metabolic meal plan easily transition to Paleo. Very easy.

There are many ways to go about eating healthy. I do not disagree with him. I know marathon runners who do keto, and it is right for them. I personally find it very difficult to maintain with a somewhat sedentary lifestyle! I tried to get my Dad to do keto for diabetes but he and mom just could never get into ketosis.

I am happy to assist you with more questions.

Connie Pennington
Connie Pennington
Connie Pennington
Connie Pennington