Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I just received my blood work and my AST level is 59 and my…

I just received my...

I just received my blood work and my AST level is 59 and my ALT level is 122. I work in the beer business and 5 days prior was St. Patrick's Day so there was some heavy drinking. Can this be the possible cause for these numbers to be high? How concerned should I be given the situation? I feel well and do not have any abdominal pain. Please advise.

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

Good no concerns at all

3/26/2018
Edgar Rubio Villegas

Hello, I´m Dr. Rubio

Welcome a JustAnswer and thank you for your question.

Please give me a minute to review your question.

How old are you? Are you overweight?

Do you usually drink alcohol regularly? Do you suffer from any disease?

I am 37. 5'11 216 pounds so slightly overweight. I generally have 2 glasses of wine a evening but from time to time have functions were much more is consumed. I do not suffer from any diseases. I just recently returned to the gym.

Dear *****ient, these hepatic enzymes are slightly elevated.
If there is a history of daily alcohol intake if it is related to alcohol intake, but it must be prolonged, these alterations do not occur in sporadic conditions.
The enzymes may be elevated by a history of ingesting fats, which can generate a fatty liver.
Some cheeses are metabolized in the liver and by their chronic use can increase these enzymes.
And infectious diseases or viruses can generate these alterations.

Other conditions such as prolonged activity generate muscle waste that can increase these enzymes.
Gallstones are another cause of these alterations.
In your case, a study of cholesterol and triglycerides, which is the most likely cause, and an abdominal ultrasound should be performed to see the characteristics of the liver.
I, therefore, suggest that you avoid alcohol and fats and take the additional tests.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Your satisfaction is my goal. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen so that I can get the credit for helping you. Thank you!

Regards.

Edgar Rubio Villegas