Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a quarter size red lump right in the center of my…

I have a quarter...

I have a quarter size red lump right in the center of my chest bone area. Just showed up 2 days ago. It is painful my first thought was a zit or ingrown hair. Should I be concerned or wait a few more days to see if it goes away?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the lump? Is it hard or soft?

It is hard and does not feel attached. I have had it for 3 days

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No as far as I know and feel otherwise I am fine

3/26/2018
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon

Hello -

OK.

It certainly sounds as if there is a localized infection there, and you are probably correct -- perhaps an infection from an ingrown hair, "folliculitis".

Most of these do get better on their own, and many people would wait a few more days to see which way this goes. Certainly, if the redness gets worse, tenderness gets worse, or if you develop a fever and are otherwise feeling ill, then treatment with antibiotics would be necessary.

Keeping the area clean and dry is important over the next few days.

Checking in with a doctor if this has not improved by 7-10 days would be helpful.

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon