Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am worried I may not have passed a random drug test I just…

Customer Question
I am worried I...

I am worried I may not have passed a random drug test I just needed to take. I work for an airline and this was the 45304N DOT Drug Panel Test w/TS which will be processed by Quest Diagnostics.

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

I had an edible (fairly strong brownie) about a week ago (Sunday, 3/17) and a very small amount this past Friday, I just took the random test this afternoon. I wasn't able to give enough of a sample the first try so drank a lot of water and it came up fairly clear. Should I worry? Urine

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have also been drinking kombucha and started a three day cleanse this morning as I was paranoid about this happening. I haven't taken any prescription drugs in years. I am overweight and everything I read is saying that the more body fat you have the longer it takes for THC to leave the body (well the metabolite)

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
3/26/2018
Doctor: Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon replied 3 months ago
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon

Hello -

This is going to be very close, it could go either way.

People with a single use of marijuana can test positive from 2-7 days after the exposure, depending on the amount of marijuana used.

People that are overweight, and chronic smokers, can tend to keep the metabolite in their fat, and turn the urine test positive even up to 2 months (daily smokers).

So, since you have used twice in the past week, though it was a "very small" amount three days ago, you probably are very near the standard cutoff level used for urine screening.

Hopefully the very small amount you used Friday, was indeed very small, and that you have metabolized enough of it to be below the cut-off level.

Best of luck.