Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

I continue to have the problem discussed with Dr. Bob in

I continue to have the problem discussed with Dr. Bob in December and am still frustrated as
to how I can "fix" the problem. The mouthwash orantifungal rinse was very helpful and educational, but the problem is NOT gone and I am preplexed as to who I can see to help me.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
is the doctor not available? Can you give me a guesstimate when I will get an initial response?

Hi Linda. This is Doctor-Bob. Did you want my input again, or were you looking for a second opinion?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Dr. Bob:I wanted continuation.......the antifungal rinse introduced me to something that wasn't happening before. After gargling for 2 minutes
I get lots of slime out of my mouth, but it never totally disappears even after finishing up the bottle. I have now switched to vinegar salt water and it does the same thing......but it still never disappears. Putting a cottonball in my mouth seems to be the only relief but that's ugly! Where does it keep originating from? My doctor suggests nose spray which has some affect.
I really don't know where to go to get a second opinion or really an answer.....as we discussed before, I've been to many specialists to no avail. You were the only person who spent serious time with me in an attempt to identify a cause/solution.
Any more suggestions?
Linda

Have you tried antibiotics? There could be an occult infection in your sinuses? Have you seen a dentist?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I've been to a dentist---in fact he prescribed the antifungal rinse. But both he and my doctor were reluctant to refill the prescription because I guess it has negative affects downstream---like kidney issues? I now have something different, but the vinegar works just as well.
Probably why my doctor wants me to do nose spray, though what that tells me there is an open, direct drain from my nose out my
mouth. I've had a couple strange other bouts which he also thinks can be fixed with nose spray.....my ears get plugged up and ear drops don't work (used to, but not recently) I'm better now, hopefully my ears don't get replugged. AND a couple of times I had to stop chewing because my mouth went numb. But the other evening I had extreme nausea, got sick and got both numb mouth and plugged ear for 2 minutes and everthing has been ok since then (except this "stuff" still resides in my upper mouth).
Are you preferring to "refer" me to someone else because you are tired of my issue?

Can you describe what this stuff looks like when you spit it out?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
long stringy slime. The consistency between the liquid and the slime is thicker and about 2 1/2 " long. Sometimes several come out. But when it's done, it's done, but it still feels slimy inside. That's the time to add the cottonball so I can stop eating. Usually I can only do this once a day. And of course if I get a sneezing spell, it's tough holding a kleenex to your nose and catching the saliva that wants to come out of my mouth simultaneously.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It only works when I gargle and hold the liquid for two minutes. Regular mouthwash doesn't work because it's too strong to keep in my mouth for 2 minutes. And, of course, I can't do it too often because then nothing will come out.

Its hard to say what's causing this without an exam, but it does sound mucoid. Something may be stimulating excess production. An occult infection could do this, so a trial of antibiotics would be reasonable. It might be allergies, so an antihistamine daily, in addition to the nasal steroid spray, might help as well. You could try actifed, an over the counter, combination medication with an antihistamine and a decongestant.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Well, I could try the actifed and maybe do the nose sprays more often. There is a thought process that I should have an allergy exam, but those are so expensive and my fear would be unyielding in information. What's difficult for me is that I don't feel "stuffed up" or have symptoms that I expect to have when taking those cold and sinus medications. In fact except for the throat(mouth) yukky feeling I don't have any symptoms. And what bothers me is that I get no relief--even for a day or half a day. It is a constant reminder in there. Next time I go to my dentist I will try to be more insistent that he look in there as well. (I think I've had substitutes on my last visits.)

Allergy testing makes sense, though the first line of treatment would be taking an antihistamine daily and using a nasal steroid.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks again for your assistance

You're welcome, If you do not improve with the above, ask your doctor about a trial of an anticholinergic agent to reduce mucous production. Ipratroprium (Atrovent) comes in a nasal spray as well as an oral spray. They might help.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Well, I am really nervous about your reply. Evidently actifed is discontinued and where would you suggest I get it?
Linda

Actifed is a combination medication with triprolidine and pseudophedrine. It is also available as Aprodine. If that is not available, consider zyrtec-d, which is widely available. Ask your doctor about this, as he or she can contact your pharmacy, if necessary. He or she can also arrange for you to try atrovent if the aprodine or zyrtec-d are not effective. But don't worry in the meantime. This does not sound like a dangerous condition and there is a solution somewhere. It may just take a little trial-and-error to find it. :-)

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you again. I will try this

You're welcome. Hope all works out for the best for you, Linda.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Doctor-Bob