Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have bone cancer, Multiple Myeloma, and my kidneys of

Customer Question
Hi. My name...

Hi. My name is John. I have bone cancer, Multiple Myeloma, and my kidneys of course have been greatly affected. My eGFR has gone from 25, and now it's down to 18. Is there anything I can do to strengthen it, strengthen the kidneys?

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

Yes

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am taking a lot of medications for the cancer and for other complications.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/26/2018
Doctor: Dr Stan, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** am US trained, Board Certified with 30 years of patient experience. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

O.K.

I'm sorry that you have cancer. Your kidney function may be helped with a very low protein diet. You are in Stage 4 and you can stay there with diet and fluids. Discuss your medications with your doctor and eliminate any that can contribute to kidney failure. Kidney function can be stabilized with diet, fluids and eliminating noxious medicines when possible. When your function gets below 15, dialysis can be started.

I hope I have addressed your concerns. Have I?

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned your 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

Thanks for the information. We were with those suggestions already, and were hoping for more details on how to actually improve my kidney function.

Erythropoietin medication can help increase kidney function, so discuss this with your doctor. There are two ESAs on the U.S. market: epoetin alfa (Procrit,® Epogen®), and darbepoietin alfa (Aranesp®). I hope this helps.

Thanks.

You are welcome.