Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I’ve had my family doctor up my dose on my Zoloft from 50mg…

Second opinion] I’ve had...

Second opinion] I’ve had my family doctor up my dose on my Zoloft from 50mg to 100mg. That was two weeks ago today. Previous to that I was on 50mg for 5 weeks. The side effects feel as though they’ve come back, like today for instance, I just burst into tears and didn’t want to leave the house this morning. Is this normal on Zoloft?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No I haven’t spoken to him since our appointment two weeks ago today.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Oh sorry, I forgot to mention that I do have ADHD and I’m on 40mg vyvanse for the adhd.

3/27/2018
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

This is not normal with Zoloft and if you are having worsening of depression or anxiety you should consult your doctor and reduce the dosage. If your symptoms are controlled with 50 mg then you can continue the same dose and there is no need to increase the dosage.

Take care.

Please let me know if there are further questions.

Please rate the answer with 5 stars.

Thank you!

Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
I forgot to mention that I still was experiencing some anxiety while 50mg but could handle it with diazepam or clonazepam. I feel like I can’t leave the house and that’s just not like me.

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

If you could handle it with diazepam then you can take it occasionally as prescribed. It may take 6 to 8 weeks for the complete anti-anxiety effect of Zoloft to become apparent. If after 8 weeks of Zoloft treatment your anxiety still persists then you can increase the dosage of Zoloft.

Take care.