Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

You've help me well before. I attached my current labs for…

You've help me well before.I...
You've help me well before.I attached my current labs for January 2018 and old ones from 2017.I am looking to relieve my extreme fatigue I've had lately, and continue to have excessive hair loss, although it seems to be getting better. I've been going to the gym periodically and started to change my diet within the last month. However I still get tired very quickly when I go to the gym which was never a problem before.My white blood cells are still high which does concern me.Please let me know your recommendation.My family has been linked to diabetes, and high blood pressure. I have had MRSA in the past but was cleared.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/26/2018
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified MD

Hi there.

I just checked out your labs and your White Blood Cell count (WBC) does not look concerning. It is on the high end of normal, but nothing I would consider abnormal. I think checking it 1-2 times a year is adequate.

Your recent labwork does show an LDL (bad cholesterol) level that is a smidge high. Probably not high enough to need medications, but high enough to consider making some changes to your diet, as you have been doing.

You may have a sensitivity to something in your diet that's causing the fatigue and hair loss. Have you tried eliminating certain things from your diet for a few weeks at a time to see if you notice a difference? I would start with cutting out gluten for about a month and see how you feel. Dairy is also a good one to try.

If you're quickly tiring out at the gym, I would reassess what you are doing. Perhaps you need a more gentle exercise like ellipticals, or using less weight, or slowing down on the treadmill. You want to challenge yourself, but not to the point that you peter out too quickly.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Awesome, thank you so much for your detailed response, I will follow everything you suggested above!My Vitamin D is pretty low from what I saw do you suggest taking supplements for it, if so which one would you recommend?I know there is food sensitivity test online should I look into getting one or just cut gluten/dairy from my diet?Again thank you so much!

Yes, your Vit D is a bit low at 25 (normal is 30-100).

Any over the counter supplement is good for that - Viactiv and Citracal make some great supplements.

I wouldn't bother with the food sensitivity test unless cutting out the gluten or dairy doesn't lead to an improvement in any symptoms.

Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified MD
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, perfect thank you!
Dr. J
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified MD