Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a question about the back of my throat

3/26/2018
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD

Hi, my name is***** am an ear, nose and throat physician and I will try to assist you today.

What is your question?

For the last week, I have been feeling a little sore around my neck, and I have been waking up with a dry mouth. My throat is not sore, I am drinking and eating fine with no pain, but just feel a little scratchy in the morning when I wake up. I was looking in my mouth and saw the back of my throat or the posterior wall of the oropharynx. It looks like bumps on the back of it. Is that normal?

These little bumps can often be due to irritation from dryness. You may be breathing through your mouth while you sleep which likely is leading to a very dry mouth when you wake up.

If you can take a picture of the bumps and upload it here I can take a look at it.

I just added a picture of my throat

Thank you. First of all, those bumps do look benign. They also do look like they are from irritation. Aside from dryness, this can be a result of allergies and post-nasal drip. Are you experiencing either of those?

For the most part, I have not had a runny nose. For the last week, I have been waking up with my tongue stuck to the top of my mouth. I have also been noticing a slight wheeze when I am doing cardio work out.
I breathe heavily through my mouth when I work out as well.

Yes, the bumps are likely related to the dry mouth. If you have nasal congestion causing you to breath through your mouth you might get some benefit from flonase and nasal saline spray to help clear your nostrils so that you can breath through your nose better. An evaluation by an ENT would probably be important if that doesn't help.

A wheeze could be an indication of asthma/allergies.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me a 5-star rating. We can continue to speak even after you rate if you would like. Thanks!

As far as my sleep habits go, I live out here in Buffalo, NY and we are transitioning over from winter. Below freezing and about 40 during the day. Should I use a humidifier when I sleep at night. I also have an adjustable bed to, should I have it raised at all or lowered?Looking at my picture, does the posterior wall of the oropharynx look ok/healthy to you?

Definitely a humidifier will help, especially in Buffalo.

A raised bed may help to prevent any post-nasal drip at night that might be irritating the back of your throat.

The oropharynx does look OK to me. We sometimes see that with allergies, post-nasal drip, throat infections (although patient's with infections will have pain, fever, etc.) or dryness. Hope that helps.

Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD