Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had a cough and fever since last Tuesday. I am not…

I have had a...

I have had a cough and fever since last Tuesday. I am not sure how long this should last or if I should see a doctor

Doctor's Assistant: When did the fever begin? Have you used any medication for it?

The fever started last Wednesday. I’ve only used Tylenol

Doctor's Assistant: Have you used anything besides Tylenol for this?

No

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have Type 1 diabetes

3/26/2018
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor

Welcome to Justanswer!

My name is***** and am reviewing your question now.

Do you have runny nose, sore throat, headache, nausea? Any chest pain, breathing difficulties, or sputum?

Is it getting worse?

My nose started running yesterday. I have a sore throat but I think that is just from coughing. Not much sputum.

Thank you for the information.

Based on your description, you started with RTI symptoms. Most of the time cold/upper respiratory tract infection is caused by viruses and tends to recover on its own without any specific treatment. However, in small number of cases, infection spread to other surrounding structures such as ear, sinuses, lungs leading to more symptoms.This also increases the risk of bacterial infection which requires prescription meds to get rid of symptoms. In your case, I don't think it's complicated. As you recover, all your symptoms will subside gradually. Just continue with rest, drink adequate water, and use OTC meds like Tylenol and decongestant to manage your symptoms. You can also use steam inhalation for feel better. Most people would recover from these viral infection within 10 days, but in your case it's bit slow. However, if no recovery in 2-3 days or getting worse, you will have to visit your doctor for antibiotics prescription.

Please leave a positive rating by clicking stars on your screen so that I can get the credit for my time with you. If you have any follow-up question,you can reply to this post.

Regards,

Dr.Shah

Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor