Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have some questions about my recent blood work. Exhausted.

I have some questions...

I have some questions about my recent blood work

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

Exhausted. Lots of joint and body swelling

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Fibromyalgia. Bipolar restless leg syndrome

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2018
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor

Welcome to Justanswer!

My name is***** and am reviewing your question now.

What is your question?

My blood work was just done here is my concern
My ESR is 55
My RDE IS 15.9
My MCH IS 25.8
My hemoglobin is 109
What does this mean all together
Sorry the second one should be RDW IS 15.9
Is anyone else there
Cancel this request.
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD

Hi, my name is***** and I will try to assist you today.

Was the hemoglobin 10.9 or 109? What were the units?

Any other lab work that was done?

Hemoglobin was 109 units g/l
Reference was 120-160

Got it. Well, first of all, your hemoglobin is slightly low and the RDW looks slightly high which can be a sign of anemia.

The ESR is elevated which is a very non-specific sign of inflammation. This can be due to infection or autoimmune issues. With your joint pain, you could very well be dealing with an autoimmune issue with the higher ESR. You may want to run additional labs to rule out an autoimmune disorder like rheumatoid arthritis or lupus. I hope that helps.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me a 5-star rating. We can continue to speak even after you rate if you would like. Thanks!

My RF WAS 10
Waiting on ANA RESULT

The RF appears to be relatively normal. The ANA result will really help once you get it. You may eventually need to see a rheumatologist.

Ok thank you. How long does it take for the Ana test. I had my blood and all results done Saturday but the Ana says still,pending

Usually not too long. Depends on if they had to send it to a special lab to be read or if they could get the result in the same place that the blood was drawn. I think you should have the result by the middle of this week.

Please do not forget to rate 5-star when you get a chance. Thanks! And good luck.

Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD
My ANA came back negative. Here's my blood results.
What would your next course of action be.
I have been put on 28mg of iron 2x daily

What were the other results?

Here is my results

It looks like you have iron deficiency anemia, so putting you on iron is a good idea. In addition, your Hemoglobin A1C is high which is a sign of diabetes.

She is retesting my blood on April 7 and said if my hemoglobin has dropped again or not gone up she would like to do an upper and lower GI
Is that necessary

Has she tested your stool for blood yet? If she has, and that test was positive for blood then definitely that is necessary. If she hasn't tested your stool for blood she should probably do that first.

No she has not ..
Her concern was that my hemoglobin has dropped 24 points in a year and because I am on the Lupron shot for the last 5 years she isn't sure why the drop without having a cycle

Oh ok I see. Yeah, that is a relatively large drop so I would agree, an upper and lower GI endoscopy may be a good idea just to be sure that is not the source of bleeding.

Ok thank you very much for your time