Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

About a week ago I got some kind of respiratory virus and…

Customer Question
Hi! About a week...

Hi! About a week ago I got some kind of respiratory virus and then last weekend I guess it caused an ear infection. My doctor prescribed Amoxicillin and it's been about 48 hours since I started taking it (twice a day). So far the throat pain has started to subside a little bit and my energy is fine, but I'm still having a lot of ear discomfort. I'm just wondering how long it takes for a normal feeling to return?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the symptoms? Do you have a fever?

No fever right now. I've been feeling sick since last Thursday.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I don't think so. I'm 24, healthy and mostly active. This is my first ear infection since I was a kid.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2018
Doctor: Dr. Shah, Doctor replied 3 months ago
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor

My name is***** and am reviewing your question now. I will respond to your question or request additional information shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Do you feel like you have recovered from other symptoms except earache? Do you feel any difference in earache after 48 hours of antibiotics?

It's hard to tell. Saturday night was the worst night and I have more energy and appetite now than I did then. But I still have considerable throat pain, a lot of coughing, runny nose and also the ear. I feel like the hearing has gotten a little better, but the fullness feeling is still just as bad as before. So when I speak everything sounds really close on that side (but if I put headphones in, there isn't much imbalance from one ear to the other).

Thank you for the information.

Based on your description, you started with RTI symptoms.Most of the time cold/upper respiratory tract infection is caused by viruses and tends to recover on its own without any specific treatment. However, in small number of cases, infection spread to other surrounding structures such as ear, sinuses, lungs leading to more symptoms.This also increases the risk of bacterial infection which requires prescription meds to get rid of symptoms. In your case, I think you are getting earache as a part of complication. Since you are on antibiotics, your earache, fullness would decrease gradually in next a few days. As you recover, all your symptoms will subside gradually. Just continue with rest, drink adequate water, and use OTC meds like Tylenol and decongestant to manage your symptoms. You can also use steam inhalation for feel better. If no recovery in 2 days or getting worse, you will have to visit your doctor to switch your antibiotics.

Please leave a positive rating by clicking stars on your screen so that I can get the credit for my time with you. If you have any follow-up question,you can reply to this post.

Regards,

Dr.Shah

Did you get my answer? Please let me know if you have any follow-up question for me.