Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I don't know what it takes to ask a question about an

Customer Question
I don't know what...

I don't know what it takes to ask a question about an episode of severe hypernatremia (excess sodium)

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Right now, none I had an episode of it two years ago-it was 167

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have severe gastroparesis Some autoimmune disease but the exact diagnosis, I really don't know for sure

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
3/26/2018
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 3 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Following are the risk factors and causes of hypernatremia;

Advanced age

Water shifts into muscle cells during extreme exercise or seizures

Mental or physical impairment

Uncontrolled diabetes

Polyuria disorders

Diuretic therapy

Inadequate nursing care

Diuretic drugs

Hyperglycemia,

Mannitol,

Lack of access to water

Altered mental status (due to medications ordisease)

Neurologic disease (dementia, impaired motor function)

Abnormal thirst

Loss of water through the respiratory tract

Diabetes insipidus.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Stay blessed.