Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Does a pacemaker keep tge heart beating after death? h.

Customer Question
Does a pacemaker keep...

Does a pacemaker keep tge heart beating after death? h

Doctor's Assistant: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Illinois. The pacemaker was inserted in Wisconsin'

Doctor's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

She is still alive but has a weak heart and arterial blockage

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She is 105 and suffers from shortness of breath even though she is on oxygen

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
3/26/2018
Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 3 months ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

No, it will not keep the heart beating after death. The pacemaker looks for native impulses from the heart muscle cells itself. Once it detects that the heartbeat is lower than the required rate, it sends a trigger to the heart muscle for it to beat. The heart muscle is the first muscle to die once a person passes and once the muscle is dead it cannot be stimulated by the very brief (fraction of a second) stimulus of the pacemaker and the conduction of the impulse sent by the pacemaker does not travel in the heart to trigger a dead muscle to beat. So, in theory, it seems plausible, but practically, once the person dies, the pacemaker can not stimulate or keep the heart beating.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5-stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!