Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Just want to know as my potassium result is 5.57. Should I…

Just want to know...

Just want to know as my potassium result is 5.57. Should I worry or should I be away from certain foods

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

No symptons of any loss of appetite. no fever or rash nothing

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had a fever? Do you have any respiratory symptoms?

I have no respiratory symptons . I have no idea but have been quite some time I had fever

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

3 years ago I was diagonised with classical hodgkins disease and I took ABVD which worked on me very successfully . in fact I was clear after my second cycle . I took 6 cycles

3/26/2018

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Are you presently on any medications?

What were your serum creatinine and blood urea?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
no I am not on any medications .serum creatinine is 74 and blood urea is 4.8
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I prefer here please

Could you please give me the normal range of your labs for creatinine and urea.

Results of the blood urea nitrogen test are measured in milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL) in the United States and in millimoles per liter (mmol/L) internationally. In general, around 7 to 20 mg/dL (2.5 to 7.1 mmol/L) is considered normal.

Most men with normal kidney function have approximately 0.6 to 1.2 milligrams/deciliters (mg/dL) of creatinine. Most women with normal kidney function have between 0.5 to 1.1 mg/dL of creatinine

Reference:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/blood-urea-nitrogen/about/pac-20384821

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
the range for urea ( 1.7 -8.3mmol
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Creatinine range here is ; 59-104

Since blood urea and creatinine are normal, you should not worry.

A slight high potassium can occur due to clotted blood.

This should be repeated by your doctor.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
my last question so I rest my mind. my Platelets is 307 ( range 146/302 . What is your opinion . Just wanted to inform you I was diagnosed with Classical hodgkins 3 years ago and my treatment went succesful

Nothing to worry of this high platelet count which is minor variation.

Just a repeat count after 4 weeks would be good.

The questions is; is this potassium or platelet are worrisome or deonte a serious illness. The answer is big NO.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
You deserve a higher rating as you put my mind at rest . I have my very last 2 questions . You did not mention anything about my disease . I feel very fine and I know hogdkins is curable but id like your opinion. Finally my Non HDL cholesterol 4.12 range 0.00 3.36 . Cholesterol Serum 5.35 range 2-0 - 5.0mmol . Do I need to take a special diet or cut down from anything .
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Awaiting your reply

I did not comment on the disease as it has been cured and it is not likely to be associated with these investigative abnormalities.

For the high cholesterol;

You can take red yeast and omega 3 oil which is likely to help lower abnormal level of lipids /cholesterol in blood. Following are the other supplements which are known to help lower cholesterol;

1) Flaxseed

2) Garlic extract

3) Barley

4) Artichoke extract

5) Green tea extract

The cholesterol, triglycerides can also be controlled by the lifestyle approaches and dietary strategies. Following would be very helpful to lower them;

1) Dietary fiber; Soluble fiber is present in foods such as beans, oats, barley, and fruits and vegetables. This decreases absorption of cholesterol.

2) Phytosterols; Phytosterols are present in small amounts in nuts, seeds, and vegetable oils. Numerous studies have shown that phytosterols lower LDL-Cholesterols. There are many products on the market that contain phytosterols for total- and LDL-C lowering. These products are orange juice, yogurt, margarine spreads, salad dressings, breads, cereals, milk, and granola bars. Phytosterols also are available in soft-gel pills.

3) Soy protein is the major component of soybeans and decreases triglycerides and cholesterol.

4) if one is over weight, just weight loss also reduces the cholesterol and triglyceride levels.

5) Physical activity; regular aerobic exercise is effective in reducing blood lipids and proven by many studies.

6) Alcohol; if one takes, limit it to 20-30 ml per day.

Following dietary pattern may be helpful;

1) Red meat in low frequency and amounts

2) Minimally processed seasonally fresh foods

3) Less than five eggs per week

4) An abundance of plant foods; fruits, vegetables, potatoes, breads, grains, beans, nuts, and seeds

5) Olive oil as the principal source of dietary fat

6) Fresh fruits as the typical daily dessert

7) Wine in low to moderate amounts; one or two glass per day.

So life style care measures, diet and supplements would be able to lower your cholesterol.

A positive rating and bonus would be highly appreciated.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Dr Arun. You have been very helpful indeed . So am I entitled to ask anything for the next few days since I made payment for this trial. I do not think I have any questions as yet . I am more than happy to note that your comment over my past disease you saw it on the positive end. I had chemotherapy 6 cycles ABVD and after my second cycle my hodgkins was already gone . my only hope that the chimo wont effect me in due years but I read that ABVD has less toxic .

ABVD is less toxic.

You must have overcome the side effects of the chemotherapy.

We experts do not know about the term and conditions of customers and site administration.

We just know about the question we are answering.

You may contact customer service for any clarification.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Thank you and you were very helpful Dr Arun. Thank you too for your last response about ABVD. Yes I did overcome all side effects . I will end here. I am grateful Indeed .

You are most welcome.

I am glad, I could help.

We are compensated for time and expertise only when a positive feedback is received by customer.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor