Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

How can I gain weight after having part of intestine

Customer Question
How can I gain...

How can I gain weight after having part of intestine removed?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

My sister has had part of intestine removed and is now having difficulty gaining weight. How can she solve this problem?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

How can she gain weight after having had part of intestine removed?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
3/26/2018
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 3 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Eat plenty of healthy fats. Eat egg yolks, chicken, fish, coconut oil, and other healthy fats. Increase caloric. Bananas count well here.

Whole eggs: loaded with protein, vitamins A,D, E and good cholesterol. The vital fatty acids in tuna contain a host of healthy fats, which aid in weight gain and also help in maintaining physical well-being. Whole wheat bread: accounts for approximately 69 calories per slice. Peanut butter It gives approximately 192 calories plus it is extra high in protein. Energy bars - It is loaded with good-for-you nuts and oats. One bowl packs around 500 calories. Cheese - One serving of cheddar cheese packs a good 69 calories. Cheese is concentrated milk, so it is high in protein and calcium, fat, cholesterol and cheese calories. Oil - choose olive oil, canola oil, etc. which is good for health and will add those much needed calories too. Banana - One banana contains approximately 100 calories. Bananas are rich in carbs and nutritious. Oats: A bowl of oatmeal is the perfect nutritious breakfast. It is high in fiber, and it also provides the body with vital nutrients. Yogurt: The healthy fruit-flavored, fatless yogurt can give you as much as 118 calories.

Good fats are monounsaturated (found in olive oil, for example) and polyunsaturated (found in such foods as fish, canola oil, and walnuts). The Mediterranean diet has a moderate amount of fat, but much of it comes from healthful monounsaturated fats and unsaturated omega-3 fats. It is high in carbohydrates, but most of the carbs come from unrefined, fiber-rich foods. It is also high in fruits and vegetables, nuts, seeds, and fish, with only modest amounts of meat and cheese.

So all of these will help in gaining weight and still are healthy.

1) Dry fruits; a cup of mixed dried fruits totals up to around 335 calories, while one fourth cup of dried raisins is 108 calories.
2) Natural Yoghurt With Honey, Greek Style, one 150g pot has 243kcals.
3) Nuts and seeds; they are rich in calories and good fat. These also contain antioxidants. Half a cup of almonds contains about 400 calories, while the same amount of macadamia nuts is closer to 475 calories.
4) Bananas
5) Mangoes
6) Peanut butter: just one Teaspoon/10g carries 62 calories.
7) Avocados are high calorie with good fat,
8) Breakfast Cereal 50 gms can give your around 180 calories and is healthy.
9) Canned coconut milk.
10) High calories protein shakes.

All of these are high calories but safe and healthy too.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Stay blessed.