Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

A patient has had high EBV acute infection antibodies on 3…

A patient has had high...
A patient has had high EBV acute infection antibodies on 3 consecutive LabCorp tests, spaced about 6 months apart. Main symptoms are disabling physical and mental fatigue.Is it possible that the patient's system is producing these IgM antibodies for 18 straight months even there is no EBV present? Or do these results identify EBV as the definitive cause?LabCorp test results each time were as follows:
EBV Ab VCA, IgM: High
EBV Early Antigen Ab, IgG: High
EBV Ab VCA, IgG: High
EBV Nucelar ANtigen Ab, IgG: HighAccording to the LaCorp test interpretation chart these values indicate a reactivated infection.
Images of lab test attached. In order they are from (as their file names indicate):
- 11/2016
- 07/2017
- 11/2017
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/26/2018
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 13 years of experience in the field of Health Care at a tertiary care referral hospital. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Hi...I understand your concern.

I am sorry to say, but, the lab value interpretation about reactivation is correct.

To explain the interpretation -

Antibodies are body's response to counter any infection. There 2 types - IgM and IgG.

IgM raise are an immediate response of the body and raise soon after infection.

IgG are late to raise and there will be a sustained response.

Now coming to your reports and applying this explanation there -

Initially IgM increased indicating that body has mounted an immune response against EBV. Then later on IgG also raised and these will be raised for years together.

But in the later November 2017 report also the IgM is high indicating that EBV re-infection or reactivation has occurred and so it is an indication that body is consistently raising the immune response again against the reactivation or re-infection.

The symptoms which you are quoting are fitting in to chronic fatigue syndrome.

The severity is variable but can be completely incapacitating and that the symptoms are real. There is no diagnostic test that is accurate enough to prove a person has the illness.

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) can be effective in some patients with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), also known as systemic exertion intolerance disease (SEID) and may be useful in those with idiopathic chronic fatigue. CBT can also be beneficial for common symptoms such as sleep disturbances and pain. This approach typically involves a series of one-hour sessions designed to alter beliefs and behaviors that could exacerbate symptoms. It is important to note that endorsement of CBT does not reflect a belief that the illness is purely psychological; a number of chronic medical conditions benefit from CBT.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".

If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?

I will be glad to be of assistance to you if you have any further questions in this health regard please

Kind regards – Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD