Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have been dealing with this troubling issue for at least 6…

Customer Question
I have been dealing with...
I have been dealing with this troubling issue for at least 6 years. Occasionally, I will have to get to the bathroom immediately, and that isn't soon enough. It's as if I have no control over the bowel movement and it starts "on its own." This is very difficult to deal with, and I would appreciate any ideas the doctors may have. I also have to avoid eating sausage. Recently I had a colonoscopy, and the doctor removed 4 polyps. Everything checked out okay. Thank you.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/26/2018
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 4 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

your choice of diet and what you eat has the most effect on your bowel movements

as we get older, we often can't eat the foods we ate when we were younger.

foods like milk, gluten, bread, pasta, sausage and oily foods, sugary drinks

often can irritate our bowels and cause loose stools and diarrhea symptoms.

you may need to keep a food diary of what you eat to see what foods irritate your bowels the most

and you may have to avoid these foods