Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I recently has a positive ANA test along with other blood…

Customer Question
I recently has a...

I recently has a positive ANA test along with other blood work that was out of the normal range and am curious about what could be causing this?

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

Not really time sensitive but I have been having a lot of weird symptoms and it is taking a toll on my day to day life. The specimen type is blood

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have thrown up blood before, constant nausea, headaches and fatigue

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
3/25/2018
Doctor: Dr. A, Board Certified MD replied 2 months ago
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD

Hi, my name is***** and I will try to assist you today.

A positive ANA test is relatively non-specific, but is often an indicator of autoimmune disorders like Lupus. You would need other lab testing to help confirm which autoimmune disorder you have. It would be important to see a rheumatologist to help guide you through the diagnosis and treatment plan. Hope that helps.

Thank you!

My pleasure!

I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me a 5-star rating. We can continue to speak even after you rate if you would like. Thanks!

Would other out of range blood work have anything to do with Lupus? I have been having symptoms like microcytic anemia, headache, nausea, dizziness, fatigue, throwing up blood, blood in stool, stomach pain and joint pain

Yes, some of the symptoms you listed such as anemia, fatigue, joint pain can all be related to Lupus. However, there are a host of other autoimmune diseases that have similar symptoms. If you see a rheumatologist they should be able to run a specific lab panel that can help to differentiate. Even after the labs it can be hard to figure out the diagnosis, but that is usually a starting point.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me a 5-star rating. We can continue to speak even after you rate if you would like. Thanks!