Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have what was diagnosed as HFMD. I have it over my entire…

Customer Question
I have what was...

I have what was diagnosed as HFMD. I have it over my entire body except face and feet and have had it for 3 weeks. Besides the blistery sores, I have a tiny bumpy scaly rash that itches terribly. It has been three weeks now and it itches worse than ever. I have gotten 3 to 4 hours of sleep per night for days and days now. I believe the main sores have all blistered and cannot see any new ones. I also had a bad reaction to Neosporin cream ( an additional rash!) I am taking Benadryl and have used hydrocortisone cream, coconut oil, Aloe Vera and regular moisturizer and nothing helps; in fact it feels worse. This itch is unbearable. Is this a normal course for HFMD?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Any other skin concerns?

3 weeks. No other problems.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Allergy to Penicillin and Codeine. I usually don't have sensitive skin.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
3/25/2018
Doctor: Richard Han, Board Certified MD replied 3 months ago
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Just to clarify, by HFMD, are you referring to hand-foot-mouth disease caused by the coxsackie virus? Are you having any fever? Any bleeding or golden crusting of your blisters, possibly with any oozing fluid?
held. No fever. No bleeding unless I scratch too much and yes gold crust. Clear oozing has stopped
Thank you for that information, I’m sorry to hear about the ordeal you are going through. HFMD is usually a self limited illness resolving nearly all together in 10-14 days. At 3 weeks yours is certainly not a typical case. With the golden crusting, history of oozing and longer time frame it sounds to me that you may be experiencing a bacterial superinfection with either staph or strep bacteria that normally resides in the skin harmlessly but in your case has entered into the breaks of the blistered skin. You can pick up some bacitracin over the counter and apply to the worst areas as a topical antibiotic. For the itching I recommend you take Allegra 1 tablet a day and use Benadryl on top of that, 50 mg at night for sleep. Tomorrow morning I would call your doctor and make an appointment to be seen as there’s a good chance you may need oral antibiotics to help clear up the staph/strep and allow you skin to heal.
Can I help with anything else today?
I hope I have provided you with helpful information in answering your question. Please let me know if you need anything else. If you have no further questions, please accept the answer by leaving a 5 star positive review. Thank you and have a great day.