Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I’m feeling very bloated, with occasional burning and

I’m feeling very bloated...

I’m feeling very bloated, with occasional burning and pressure pain in central lower abdomen. I have a great deal of pressure in the rectum with very little stool coming out. Took preparation H and helped some. Feel like having a BM but nothing but gas and a little stool. No fever. Feel awful.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Any other symptoms?

Off and on for about 3 weeks. I have GERD and take Nexium every day. Lately I’ve been cutting back because I didn’t notice as much reflux. I feel pressure in middle of my chest also. I feel like I’m loaded with gas. Had a colonoscopy a month ago. Three polyps but otherwise ok.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I’ve had IBS for many years and a bout with diverticulitis. This doesn’t feel like either one of those. Just feel like I need to use the restroom but nothing but gas. Constipation has been an issue this year but I don’t believe I’m constipated. I am a young 65.

3/25/2018
Connie Pennington

Hello, I am Dr. Pennington. I am a colorectal surgeon. I am sorry you are having such a difficult time.

May I ask your gender? Any medications?

Female. Avapro 150 mg daily and levothryoxine 88mg once daily. Nexium 40mg daily but have been cutting back to every 3rd day until the last two nights.
I prefer typing.

I am glad you are up to date on colonoscopy.

Any vomiting? Have you had any abdominal surgeries?

Today was the first day I’ve had a period of nausea. But no vomiting. I had a right hip replaced in October of 2017 and left hip replaced in 2007. No other surgeries.

Excellent. When was your last good bowel movement? Do you go daily? Have you taken anything, laxatives?

I usually go daily. It’s probably been since my last bout of several loose stools about a week ago. Since that time, not much. I took milk of magnesia about 4 nights ago because of the pressure and straining to go. Regular in appearance but a small movement.

Ok. Do you feel constipated or just bloated? Or both?

I feel extremely bloated with occasional stabbing pain in belly (lower middle). I don’t see how I can be constipated. Not eating much the last few days and felt “cleaned out” a week ago, due to taking a laxative, stool softener and prunes.
But I do feel if I could have diarrhea, I might feel better.
Gastroenterologist said I have “moderate” diverticuli.

OK. What what I am worried about is a bowel obstruction. You do not have a surgical history to support adhesions, but you have had diverticulitis, which can cause adhesions. Have you drank any carbonated beverages?

I had a few sips (like 3) of 7Up last night. That’s been it. Mostly drink water and very little alcohol. In fact none in the last 3 weeks.

Ok. If your pain is severe, and it sounds like it is, then I would seek medical treatment, meaning a trip to the Emergency Department and a CT scan to figure out what is going on. If it is a bowel obstruction, then you would get admitted. IV fluids help tremendously, and an nasogastric tube into the stomach will help decompress things and relieve the obstruction.

If the bloating is more IBS like, then dysbiosis is the likely cause and I can help you with a diet plan and probiotics to solve that problem, but it sounds like something more serious is happening to you.

Have you ever felt pain this bad before?

No I haven’t felt pain like this before. The symptoms are constant but stabbing, burning pain comes and goes. Wouldn’t an obstruction have been seen on my colonoscopy? I’m going to try and wait this out until tomorrow. Our ER here is not well staffed or efficient, I’m told. I really appreciate you trying to help and advise me. Thank you so much!

Goodness, a small bowel obstruction can happen to anyone at anytime. The normal colonoscopy would not predict it. We were always taught to "never let the sun set on a bowel obstruction." It can get worse. Do not push it to a tolerable limit. I know it's a judgment thing, but the ER can do a CT scan.

I am sorry. Stabbing symptoms is a sign that the bowel is seriously unhappy. Listen to your body. Sometimes walking helps to press the gas through. Try walking. If you were my mom, I would be dragging you to the ER. Yep. Let me know how it goes, and good luck to you.

Dr. Pennington, your mom would be so proud! My daughter just became a PA last year, and I believe if she lived in Missouri, she would drag me to the ER also. I’m going to try and walk as you suggested and see if that helps. I need a gutectomy:) THANK YOU!

Bless your heart. When do mom's listen to their daughters? Payback I guess. Seriously, call your daughter, she will know! Let me know how it unfolds. I am saying a prayer for you!

How did you know? A prayer is exactly what I need tonight!:) Thank you Doctor. We need more like you!
I’ll keep you posted. I have never used an online doctor. If I use this site again, may I request you? Not sure how this works.

Indeed, you can but this link will stay open for days, so let me know how it goes!

Prayers in progress!

Connie Pennington
Wonderful! Thank you!
Seeing a nurse practitioner in the Gastro office tomorrow. Feeling ok, barely any pain. Just unable to have a good BM. Pressure/pain is now at a 3.