Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My 91 year old mother has lost her sense of smell and as…

My 91 year old...

My 91 year old mother has lost her sense of smell and as such her appetite. Are there any medications that could bring back her smell or appetite?

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

No allergies but she takes Apo-Losartan & HCTZ 12.5mg.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Toloxin Digoxin 0.125mg. Taro-Warfarin 2.5mg

Just added 300mg of Iron pills daily to her routine.
3/25/2018
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon

Hello -

Did she lose the sense of smell suddenly? Or has it been a slow progression over months and years?

Slow progression over 12 months

OK.

Does she have any sinus issues?

Seasonal allergies?

Is her taste impaired as well?

And has her doctor done anything to evaluate this?

No, No, yes and her doctor has attributed to Aging and states that there may be a spray that can be used.
Is a Zinc spray still allowed ? Can potential plops in her nose be a cause and how to check for that

OK.

The gradual onset of the loss of smell can be "age related".

It can be related to nasal and sinus issues -- and often times, doctors will try a nasal spray (steroids) to help with any inflammation which may be impairing her ability to smell (which then affects her taste).

Sometimes, they will order MRI imaging of the brain and sinuses to make sure there isn't an obvious cause for these issues (in 1% of people, they will find some specific issue, like a brain tumor or severe sinus problems as the cause).

Polpys can be the cause as well, as ther ecan be inflammation in the nasal cavity which impairs her smelling ability. ENT doctors are the specialists that evaluate smell disorders, and can simply look up the nostrils as an initial evaluation.

OK, thanks. That has been helpful

There is no reason to use a zinc spray, as it won't prevent a cold, and could be related to a permanent loss in the ability to smell.

Best of luck.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon