Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My five week old has blood in his stool. Changed from

Customer Question
My five week old...

My five week old has blood in his stool. Changed from similar to nutramagen and is now again showing blood. Today a little blood clot was seen. He eats a lot. Fussed a little. Has a lot of gas. No fever or any other symptoms. Is content after going to the bathroom. Doesn’t sleep so much. Last night took 4 hours to finally sleep. Just fussy

Doctor's Assistant: Has his bleeding been stable or getting worse?

I say stable. He had it with similac then when switched didn’t see it until 1 1/2 weeks later. But the passed 3 days he has had it. Today there was a little round looking clot which is making me nervous. I’m scared of an obstruction in his intestines but from reading articles he doesn’t have any other symptoms of that

Doctor's Assistant: How long has he been dealing with the bleeding? Is this a repeating or first-time issue?

Repeating

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
3/25/2018
Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 3 months ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you very much

Since it is happening quite often i would say he must get thorough examination by the doctor to be on the safe side. Though it does not look anything of serious nature as he is fine otherwise but an examination by a pediatrician and an ultrasound is required to find the cause. Most common cause is though sensitivities to the milk.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5-stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Thank you. Can it be colitis? Would he have more symptoms if the intestines weren’t connected or an obstruction ?

Thanks for the reply.

It does not seem to be an obstruction or colitis as in thst case there would be no stool at all with abdominal distension.

Ok thank you so much

My pleasure.

Please do not foeget to click on 5 stars.

Best wishes for you and your family.

One more quick thing. He do a scream and raise his legs a lot but then after a while he’ll pass gas. Can it just be the nutramagen. I thought that was the best formula for a baby with milk allergies. Is there a better formula than that.

Thanks for the reply.

It is not just formula brand but babies at this age have immature intestines thus causing colic which makes them very irritable and fussy. Nutramagen is good.

Please do not forget to click on 5 stars.

Best wishes.

Doctor: Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD replied 3 months ago
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD
Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 13 years of experience in the field of Pediatrics at a tertiary care referral hospital. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Hello... I understand your concern.I need some more information please.1. Please quote your baby's date of birth?
2. What was the birth weight and what is the current weight?
3. Why did you shift him from breast feeding to formula feeding?
4. Was this blood in motion occurring when you were feeding him exclusive breast milk also?
5. Is there any skin rash or eczema like dry skin on face and flexures?
6. How is the baby's activity?Please get back to me with the above information so that I can guide you better.Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani