Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had dark stool all 3 bowel movements on Thursday. Friday…

Hi I had dark green...
Hi I had dark green stool all 3 bowel movements on Thursday. Friday it was fine and Saturday my stool was fine in color but I was either consitpated or the stool was loose. This morning I woke up and my stomach hurt I went to the bathroom and immediately my stomach stopped hurting but my stool looks like it has a tint of red I’ve attached an image below. Should I be concerned? I had c diff back in November but it cleared up and I haven’t taken any antibiotics since. I had an MRI done of my abdomen a few weeks ago as well and it came back my liver and all other organs were normal.
3/25/2018
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Can you tell me please, how old are you? (If you are not less than 18 years old, please note your question is listed as “Pediatrics” and should be changed to the “Medical” category) Are you having any fever, nausea or vomiting? Do you have any hemorrhoids?
Hi, I am 19 how do would I change that to say medical?
But no nausea fever or vomiting
There should be a way to re-categorize your question as “Medical”. Please look through the website, FAQ, or contact customer service. I will be here all day and still be able to address your question once I see the category changed. No rush.
Hello again. Looks like no problem if we continue here. I see you’re 19, no nausea, fever or vomiting, all of which are good signs. Dark green stools ar fairly common if/when you eat a lot of dietary iron such as a big streak or burger. Looks like there might be a little blood in your stool based on the picture but as long as you’re not having any of those symptoms above, nothing to worry about just yet. Are your still eating, drinking, urinating and not losing weight?
I don’t have a loss of aperitif or anything. Yesterday all I ate was red sauce, twizlers, and an orange could the colors have something to do with it?
Ah, I see. Yes, the color from the tomoati sauce and/or Twizzlers could definitely have some effect in staining stool reddish. Except for the pain you mentioned, I would then chalk it all up to that. However, because of the pain and your history of C. diff in the past, my recommendation is that you keep a close eye on your bowel movements for the next few days. As long as it clears up, you’re good to go. Should it worsen, become more frankly bloody or become accompanied by worsening cramping pain, nausea, fever, chills or vomiting then I would seek medical attention.
Anything else I can help with today?
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Thank you