Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

This is my 5th month after being off of BCP. It seems to be…

This is my 5th month...
This is my 5th month after being off of BCP. It seems to be regular flow. However, I noticed that every month the cycle is getting longer.
Oct7-Nov5 --cycle length 30 days
Nov6-Dec7 -- cycle length 32 days
Dec8-Jan10 -- cycle length 34 days
Jan11-Feb14 --cycle length 35 days
Feb15-until now -- cycle length 39 days (late period, still not coming)
I have been having these PMS symptoms for a couple days already, from mild cramping and breast tenderness. And bloating.I am not sure but I remember roughly that when I was younger and before BCP, my cycle length is probably 32-40 days, I think. Not regular but comes every month.
Is it normal for the cycle length to be a bit longer? Do I need to be worried? PCOS? No excessive acne, or overweight though.
When I was on BCP, it is exactly 30 days.I did take the pregnancy test and it is negativeI am 33 years old and my weight is about 118 lbs.
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I have to say that. I have been doing pregnancy tests for like 4 of them and all negative. I had sex on the 1st, 17th and 24th of March with condoms. Always have been using condom.
3/25/2018
Doctor Jennifer

Hi, I'm Dr Jennifer and I'm a surgery fellow.

It's normal! Many women's natural cycles are between 4-6 weeks long, and some women's cycles vary in length cycle-to-cycle. Your cycle was exactly 30 days on BCP because it was really a false cycle, induced by the withdrawal of the hormones you were taking during the placebo week. We call it a "withdrawal bleed" rather than a period.

If you're not overweight or have problems with excessive hair or acne, you don't likely have PCOS. If you encounter fertility problems, it's something you can be screened for, but it sounds extremely unlikely in your case. Your cycles are of a normal length even if they are getting longer as your body adjusts to being off pills.

Condoms are adequate birth control, but they aren't the best.

Does that answer your question? Let me know if I can clarify anything. If you're satisfied with my service, please consider giving me a 5 star rating!

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Thank you! So PCOS is likely to happen with people who are tend to be overweight, right? It is just it has been a long time since I am on my own without pills so I couldn’t remember my cycles anymore. And it makes me a bit worried. But i remember it was always hard to predict when it is coming. But it has never been early more like a later experience.
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I have small amount acne sometimes when I am about to have the period though.

It's more common in overweight people, but part of the difficulty for them in losing weight is the PCOS itself. But weight loss usually improves PCOS symptoms, as well.

Acne with changes in hormones (as you move through the cycle) is very common. It's one of the reasons women use BCP, because you can keep the same hormone levels throughout the cycle by replacing your body's with the pills. And before your period is the normal time, since its when you have the highest progesterone levels, which are more androgenic (and thus acne causing) than estrogen.

Any other questions I can answer?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I had to be off of BCP due to it seems like it has been giving me anxiety more than ever this past year. We think it is because of the pills. I have been much better without the pills. Do you think I should still get my blood check for pregnancy? Or the 5 sticks that said negative should be adequate.
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
do you think my period if it is like 4-6 weeks or up to 60 days it is not normal but still normal for people who have irregularities?
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Do I need to get my thyroid check?
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
you think unlikely it is not PCOS though?
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Sorry, so many questions

Unlikely PCOS, definitely.

As for pregnancy, the tests should be valid for the intercouse on the 1st, but those days later in the month still could have resulted in a pregnancy that can't be verified by blood or urine yet (e.g. preimplantation), though with a condom that didn't break and was used properly it's very unlikely.

For your age, if it goes longer than 6 weeks, and the pregnancy test is negative at 7 weeks, then I would consider seeing a doctor for a blood test or an ultrasound.

Lastly, I don't think you need your thyroid checked from the symptoms you've described; why do you ask?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I read some articles and they said thyroid could be the cause of irregular period.
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
My husband and I have always been good with condoms. We have it since the start until later. When should I check the pregnancy test again for the 17th and 24th?

It's true, but it would come with other symptoms; feeling tired and lethargic, often cold, gaining weight, losing your hair, etc.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I am cold easily and feel tired sometimes. I got the thyroid checked last year but it was good. And I am not sure if this myth is correct. I am half Asian. And they said not to drink coconut water as it contains hormones. And i have been drinking a lot of that lately. I have also been taking daily multivitamins lately too. Not sure if it could relate.

For the pregnancy test, a general rule is about 2 weeks after the intercourse. Hopefully your period will come before then and you won't have to spend the money! But two weeks from now would put you at 53 days, so I would consider being seen if it's negative then.

No, coconut water and multivitamins don't affect the thyroid. And if it was normal last year and you are the same cold and tired and then, then I doubt your thyroid hormone level has changed.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I see. I have been having a feeling it is coming for a week. Like that mild cramp but it never came!
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
But is it normal also that some women being off BCP could result to delay of period? I heard some doesn’t have it at all
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
by the 2nd week of April, if my period hasn’t come, should I try to schedule an appointment with the doctor?
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
is there any other disease if it is not PCOS or thyroid that it could possibly be that you would think it is?

Yes, it's normal for your body to adjust to being off BCP by lengthening your cycle, but by 3 months after coming off the pills, most women are ovulatory so there's less of a chance of a completely missed cycle now at 5 months.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I see. So the month 2-4, the period is actually a period, not withdrawal blood. My doctor said some people with regular period could even skip a month due to stress.

Unfortunately the most common reason for a missed period in a young health woman is pregnancy; since it's only the 25th, if you're very worried, you could take Plan B now to try to reduce your risk. Plan B can however cause your period to come earlier or later.

No, some women ovulate their very first cycle off birth control. It's just that the vast majority of women are ovulatory by the 3 month mark.

Yes, stress can sometimes cause you to skip, or delay; but it usually is a great deal of stress.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I think that the possibility is my period before being on BCP had never been regular, and it could range up so now after the body is adjusting to my own hormone, my period is back to irregularities
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I am worried but I am pretty sure with the condoms we used.

Correct. So on the whole, I think you are probably not pregnant. But of course, we can't rule it out yet.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I test the condoms every time that it is not break.

Exactly, that's the trouble with being a woman! Condoms are effective but we're never sure until the period comes!

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I know! But the truth is nothing is also a 100%. I have 2-3 friends that got pregnant while they are on BCP and the other one was on IUD

It's true! Nothing is perfect. Very anxiety producing.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I tried to use FAM and condom. And was tracking my cervical fluid which i did have an Egg white cervical fluid the past 2 weeks. I did tried to use the OPK, just wanna see if I am ovulating, it has detected the LH surge the past 3 months except this month. Or may be it has detected it but it was later when I stop testing it
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I am trying to go hormone free as I fell like it has been effecting my moods and anxiety

Well, you could have missed the surge, or this could be an anovulatory cycle, or, or, or... you'll drive yourself crazy! Wait for the period another week or two before you really start to worry. You're still in a normal range for cycle length now.

I wish I could give you a 100% sure answer but I can't!

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Sure! Thank you though!

You're welcome, and good luck!

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
One last question, is it possible to ovulate, and not get a period?

Typically, no. After ovulation, the sac the egg was in produces the hormones that lead to the hormonal change that leads to a period.

Doctor Jennifer
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Oh can i ask you one thing? For the 17th of March intercourse, if I want to check for that if I am pregnant, I could do it next week as it will mark 2 weeks for that one, right?

Yes, though it's not an exact science!

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Actually, to think if I am stress or not. I could be a bit. I am changing my job next week. And I am a bit scared and nervous.
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I have been a bit stress over it for a month or so for the big change
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Hi jennifer! I just wanted to keep you update. So i was worried and today mark day 43 of my cycle and my period hasn’t come yet. My GYN said not to worry, it could happen. We did a pregnancy blood test, it came back negative. But it could be too soon to do it she said, I had intercourse on March 17th and did the blood test on the 27th. But we had sex with condom.
Now I am experiencing breast tenderness, lumpy feeling on right breast, some cervical fluid and small cramp that comes time to times. i also feel hungry most of time. And these are all my PMS symptoms that I usually get a weekish before I get my period.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Should I try the urine pregnancy test again like next week?

I would give it 7-10 days after the negative blood test, for sure. The blood test is much more sensitive than the urine test!

Doctor Jennifer
Doctor Jennifer
Doctor Jennifer, Doctor