Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had sex with an escort yesterday. The escort initially had…

I had sex with...

I had sex with an escort yesterday. The escort initially had the condom in her mouth and applied it on me, gave me a blowjob and then we had sex. I noticed the condom was intact all the time. After i completed, i removed it by stretching it slightly instead of unrolling. It did come in contact with my hands, as I bite nails, I do have some broken skin in my cuticle skin (proximal). Was I at risk of HIV in this encounter ?

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

Health is good, i had a likely prostate infection and taking cipro 500 this was my first sex encounter ever

3/25/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. However, I can reassure you with 100% confidence that you are NOT at risk of contracting HIV in this manner. Even if the condom came into contact with your cuticles where broken skin MAY have been present, the broken skin should have been bleeding or the cuts should have been deep enough that the region BELOW the skin should have been exposed. there are many layers in the skin and as long as all of them are not broken or as long as there is no active bleeding from a cut, this sort of contact would not be dangerous at all. Secondly, even if the cut was deep enough, HIV is not transmitted in this manner via inanimate objects (such as condoms, sheets etc), this is because the HIV virus cannot survive for long outside the body.

In short, you are COMPLETELY safe in this situation and are NOT at risk of contracting HIV in this manner.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thanks Doctor. Sorry, I have few more questions.
finger was not bleeding, had not been biting for few hours, so just had skin look lifted/broken at the base.
Also, I touched the condom immd after taking out, so will the virus not be alive for few secs ?
Since this is my first time, I am just being a bit paranoid here i guess. What about vaginal fluids that touch places where condom is not covered, like base of penis, testes etc. Will that spread if i wash after finishing sex ? Is it a good practise to wash or not (because i read a research saying washing after sex increases hiv risk)
Also, do i need to do a hiv rna test(after a week) ? are they reliable ?

One this broken skin is not enough to cause transmission of the virus

Two, the virus lives for less than a minute in the open environment and even if it was alive, your broken skin did not provide an easy enough entry path for it to get into the body. Yes if came into contact with bleeding skin then there was less than 0.001% risk of transmission but here that was not the case

Three, the Vaginal fluid has to come into contact with the INSIDE of the urethra (penis hole) in order to cause transmission. it coming into contact with the base of penis or testes would NOT cause transmission

Four, washing the area immediately after sexual intercourse won't decrease or increase the transmission risk. It is just simple good hygiene, while there may be a study which says washing may increase risk, there is NO concrete evidence that is accepted by the medical community. A single study does NOT prove a hypothesis, it has to be reproduced several times by independent verifications in order to be accepted and at the moment, washing after sexual intercourse has no effect on increasing or decreasing transmission

Five, I don't think you need an HIV PCR RNA test after this encounter. If you still want to get it done ( in order to alleviate your anxiety, there is no medical indication) then it would accurately rule out HIV in 99.5% of the case after 10 days of exposure.

Do you have any more questions?

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thanks Doctor. You comprehensively covered all my fears. Thanks again. Sorry one more question, do i need to test for any other std ? like hep c or hpv/hereps ?

Actually you cant test for HPV. I dont believe there is need to test for hepatitis C here. However herpes can be transmitted IF the other person had active lesions. In the absence of any active lesions the risk of transmission is low, less than 4%.

But i would recommend that you do get tested for herpes after 6 weeks as it is the only STD which has a VERY LOW chance of transmission even with the use of condoms.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
thanks. also for the next time, should i be worried if the condom break in between or i did not notice it, what are the risks of hiv if
condom had failed ?

If the condom broke in between and your penile urethra was exposed to vaginal fluids for some time then the risk would be between 0.01-0.14%. which is still very low.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
thanks.

Happy to help.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
hi Doc, got another afterthought question, so in case the condom broke, should i get PEP ? I think I cant get over the fear here. I remember the condom being intact yest, but if it did develop micro tears, how will i know. I did ask the escort and she said she is clean. Do you think I should take PEP ?

No i dont think you need PEP at this point in time, as the risk of transmission of HIV is negligible.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor