Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I've got a series of questions about exposure to mold &

Customer Question
Hello, I've got a series...
Hello, I've got a series of questions about exposure to mold & mycotoxins...Are there any mold experts in the house?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
3/26/2018
Doctor: Josie-Mod,
 replied 2 months ago
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Hi Josie, I'm ok waiting, however, I'd like to understand whether or not you have any mold experts.. Perhaps in the medical arena..?
Doctor: Dr. K., MD replied 2 months ago
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Hello. If you type in your questions, ill try to answer them. There are no physicians on the site or otherwise that specialize in “mold”
Hi Dr. K., I understand, thanks, ***** ***** is related more specifically to fungal exposure & mycotoxin effects.In 2011 I bought a car that had manufacturer defect which provided that drain tubes from the sun/moon-roof assembly secretly slip off and allow exterior water to drain through the hinge-pillars of the car underneath the carpet & padding.Needless to say, by 2012, there was a lot of mold that grew and was thriving in the environment.I drove this car in Los Angeles traffic nearly every day from January 2011, to June 2013, and by that time I was never not sick, with symptoms, in combination, ranging from severe gastric distress, uncontrollable & unexplained vomiting, fatigue, sweats (it always felt like fever but my temperature was always between 96 & 97 degrees...(strange dip from the 98.6)) during the day and especially while sleeping, bronchial unproductive cough which often tasted like blood (when anything was produced), cold/flu-like stuffy head, red & sore throat with white spots (not strep..), runny nose, painful sinuses, ringing in the ears along with them plugging up like i was changing altitude, and cognitive issues (not being able to complete sentences in my own head, much more express them verbally...).Had I known about mold early on, I would've at least stopped driving the car, but you couldn't see it & when I smelled it, it didn't smell like mold, it smelled like death, and each time I brought it into the dealership, not only did they neglect to check for the service bulletin that required it to be fixed, but they told me I must have spilled something or it was otherwise my fault.I've learned quite a bit since then, forcibly, and am still suffering from the after effects.So my first question is, with a combination of Aspergillus/Penicillium, Basidiospores, Cladosporium, Myxomycetes++, (and then the test goes on to state that there are more unidentifiable spores..), in an enclosed environment, for more than a year of everyday exposure for hours at a time, could a human become sick?Would the symptoms match what I've described?Will I ever be healthy again? (I live in a little bubble between my office and home, and every time I go beyond, I get sick.)I've had roughly a gallon of my blood tested over the past 7 years, at first I/they thought I had a disease, or cancer, or something that they could find in a blood analysis, but all they could prove was that my IgA was low. A recent antibody workup has proof of severe exposure to those fungi I described.I can break all this up into finite individual questions, but I figured I'd throw some extra on the heap, to see if you're interested.Thank you,Brandon
Doctor: Dr. K., MD replied 2 months ago
1. The symptoms are allergic symptoms and match what you describe. 2. Yes you will be healthy. 3. Its doesnt look like your exposure was to black mold, stachybotrys. I think if you see an allergist that would be best
Hello again Dr. K.,I listed out the fungi previously because I'm acutely aware that black mold was not necessarily involved, I also listed them to get your opinion on the mycotoxins relevant.Please consider that I've seen 4 allergists over the past 7 years. The first one cost around 17k, we did scratch tests & blood work & they offered immunotherapy, which I went through for roughly 2 years. The second one did scratch tests & told me to remove myself from the contaminant, which I had already done, cost roughly 5k to 'figure that out'. The third one did a scratch test & confirmed I was allergic to mold, and tried to get me back on immunotherapy even though I'd already gone through the rounds, ran me about 1k for the couple of sessions I saw that office. The last allergist I've seen, ran a scratch test which showed I'm allergic to nothing, and claimed that all former tests were false, then offered a 'wellness workup' which sucked about 13 more vials of blood out of me, then they came back & tried to get me to buy into a hormone replacement plan, they called it the 'Cassinova something'.. My T levels are fine. That ride cost me roughly 10k, without the Cassinova crap.See where I'm going?I'm asking for your medical practitioner's opinion here, please provide it, ask me questions, etc...If you're not interested in discussion in-depth, as I'd like to understand it (more so than just telling me I'll be healthy again, ironically by seeing yet another allergist), please forward my question to someone else.Thanks,Brandon