Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have thin discharge with some itchiness innmy vagina I…

I have thin white...

I have thin white discharge with some itchiness innmy vagina I took diflucan 3 days ago symptoms got better but I still have some symptoms left

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you dealt with the discharge? Have you experienced this in the past?

Lately is often

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last pap test or pelvic exam? Any irregular results from past exams?

Last year no

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am healthy and not over weight

3/25/2018
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Can you tell me please, do you routinely douche? Are you experiencing any burning sensation or pain with urinating? Is the whitish discharge thin and watery or thicker and cottage cheese like? Have you had any unprotected sexual intercourse recently?
Watery white discharge with out amy smell, I don’t douch and I don’t have unprotected sex
Thank you for that information. Doesn’t sound like you are having a continuing yeast infection, especially since you’ve already taken the Diflucan 3 days ago. What you most likely are experiencing is called bacterial vaginosis (BV). It is generally caused by an imbalance in vaginal tract flora, or the normal bacteria that reside in the vagina that maintain acid-base balance and normal health. It typically causes mild itchiness and a thinner watery like whitish discharge. It is NOT considered a sexually transmitted disease and is quite common. It’s important to avoid douching. For now, if you’re not too uncomfortable you can simply wait it out a little longer to see if your symptoms resolve as your body adjusts and re-established vaginal flora balance, especially since it’s only been 3 days since you may have cleared a previous yeast infection with the Diflucan. If the symptoms persist or worsen, I recommend seeing your GYN or PCP as there is a different antibiotic treatment course you can take to alleviate the BV.
Anything else I can help with?
No thank you
You’re very welcome. If you have no further questions, please accept the answer by leaving a 5 star positive review. Thank you.
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD