Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I need another opinion. I am a 65 year old man with a very…

I need another opinion. I...
I need another opinion. I am a 65 year old man with a very enlarged prostate about 126cc in size and have had hematuria and acute urinary retention in the past. Biopsy in Oct negative for prostate cancer. I have been on finasteride for about a year and latest PSA was 2.7 and free percent PSA was 30. During that time I have also had some chronic hip pain so was concerned about bone mets with an undetected prostate cancer. My pcp thinks bone mets are unlikely but has ordered an mri for the hips. Will this show bone mets? I though a bone scan was the gold standard for this? Anyway what are my chances of having bone mets? Thanks.
3/25/2018
Edgar Rubio Villegas

Hello, I´m Dr. Rubio

Welcome a JustAnswer and thank you for your question.

Please give me a minute to review your question.

Dear *****ient, I'm sorry for what you've been through.
In fact, the standard gold is the bone scan and the CT scan for bone metastasis. but the resonance also has good results because it is not only the bone structure that is evaluated but also the white structures and organs.
In your case, before indicating any opinion of metastasis, it should be evaluated in the search for any symptoms.
The prognosis for men with prostate cancer varies depending on the stage (extent) of cancer (in general, survival rates are higher for men with earlier-stage cancers). However, many other factors can affect a man's prognosis, including his age and overall health and how well he responds to cancer treatment. The prognosis for each man is specific to his circumstances.
if necessary, you should wait for the results of the MRI and if you suspect that you will be asked for the other studies.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Your satisfaction is my goal. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen so that I can get the credit for helping you. Thank you!

Regards.

Thanks I did have a ct scan about 6 months ago and the radiologist only indicated what he thought were bone islands. But I guess they could be malignant lesions, correct?

Indeed, the bony islands can be caused by alterations in the formation of the use that can originate from metastasis.
In your case, I think the best option is the bone scan.

Thank you.

it has been a pleasure.

I hope this information will be helpful.Your satisfaction is my goal. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen so that I can get the credit for helping you. Thank you!Regards
Edgar Rubio Villegas